Ch. 21: High heels

My aunt was the coolest aunt north of the equator. Of that, I was sure. When we went shopping on Friday the week after, she made me laugh until my stomach hurt, with dramatic gestures and outbursts while trying on outfit after outfit. Obviously I was too much of a fashionista and she was way too traditional for my liking, and the poor sales associates were close to a mental breakdown before we were done. Sales associates in plural, yes, because we were in several stores, and for each time auntie Dorothy got a little bolder in showing off her curves and boobs. I can tell you that at the age of almost fifty, she had a body women half her age would envy. And that included me.

"How on earth are you still up and walking in those heels, Mia? I'm wearing flats, and my feet hurt," she whined, after exiting what we'd decided would be the last store for today.

"They don't hurt anymore. They're so numb I can't feel a thing from knees down," I giggled. That wasn't true, though. My feet stung like I was walking on knives.

"Goodness, girl. It's time for some late lunch, then. Domino's?"

I looked at the crowded café across the street, and immediately shook my head.

"Too many people."

"Frank's Pizza Palace?"

"Sure. How far is it?"

"Down the street and around the corner."

I pursed my lips. Then I looked in the direction she'd pointed out and groaned.

"Okay. Just a second."

"Huh?"

Then she burst into fits of laughter when I started pulling off my high-heeled leather boots.

"You can't go barefoot on the street, Mia. It's winter!"

"So? Then I don't need ice to cool them down when we get home. My feet are literally burning."

"See? I told you you should go for sneakers. The red converse?"

I raised my eyebrows while I stretched my toes."

"Damn, auntie. You've actually listened to what I've said today. Even shoe brands? I'm impressed."

"Oh, you know," she blushed. "It's not every day I get to spend quality time with my bonus daughter."

She looked at me with so much love that I got tears in my eyes.

"And I'm really, really proud of you today."

"How so?" I asked curiously.

"You didn't have a single panic attack!"

I blushed and smiled, embarrassed that the few passing people around us heard what she said.

"That's because we avoided the stores with too many people."

"Doesn't matter. You're doing better for each day, and I'm really proud of you."

"Mia? Dorothy?"

We turned simultaneously at the sound of the familiar voice behind us.

"Benji!" auntie Dorothy exclaimed so joyously that it made me blush. Thank God for my high dosage of melanin so it wasn't so obvious.

"You've been shopping, I see," he chuckled, nodding towards the many paper bags in our hands. Then he suddenly looked horrified when he saw my feet.

"Why aren't you wearing any shoes?"

"Uhm... My feet hurt a little."

I heard loud laughter next to me, and wanted to elbow her to make her shut up. Benjamin just stared at me with an unreadable expression.