Ch. 49: Such a silly man

The plane had just landed after the 373 miles long flight from Sacramento to LA. Even though it barely took one and half hour, I was left with sore fingertips after chewing all of my nails down to almost non-existing. So much for saving for three whole weeks and nearly an hour spent on getting the shape and the nail polish right...

Just like the other times I had visited Michael, everything was first class. I almost felt like a celebrity. And when I was met by his driver in his usual black and perfectly tailored uniform, ready to take my suitcase, I was actually scared people around me would think I was one too. Luckily no one took any pictures, because that would have freaked me out in third degree. I'd probably stormed off and locked myself in the bathroom until the entire airport was cleared for people. Then again, I could always shout 'bomb' and watch them flee faster than they could spell their own names.

I giggled to myself. Benjamin would have been so proud of me for managing to think that way, even in a situation that normally would have caused a scene. My therapist had told me I had quite an impressive progression with my social anxiety the last couple of months, which was all thanks to Benjamin. But dealing with my traumas? Now that was a different story. A slight comfort was that she promised my nightmares would subside after a while, as long as I didn't close myself off emotionally like I'd done before. I just hoped she was right.

"Wow," I heard behind me as soon as I stepped out of the limo. And when I turned around, I was met by Michael's brown eyes and a slightly open mouth.

"You've straightened your hair."

I felt the embarrassment creep up my neck and settle in my face, and was about to explain why.

"You look absolutely stunning," he exclaimed breathlessly, and circled me to see all angles. I giggled nervously.

"Honestly, Mia. I love your braids, but damn..."

His face transformed into a huge smile, as he closed the gap between us and pulled me into his arms.

"I've missed you," I whispered and let myself get comfortably intoxicated by his smell. It was like I could finally breathe again after being strangled too long.

"I've missed you too, babe. How are you?"

He pulled away to look at me, and his expression had turned into one of concern.

"I mean, really. How are you feeling after everything?"

I shrugged and smiled. Right then I felt like I'd never had a worry in my life, although I was realistic enough to know that was not the case.

"Okay, I guess. I don't think I've processed everything yet. Not properly anyway."

"I can understand that. I feel terrible for not being there with you the last three days. It's been crazy busy. I just hope I can make it up to you now."

I knew he was working a lot. Like, a lot-a lot. He had different projects going on, and people who demanded him to be at several places at once. He'd told me all about them when we had, what once again had become, our usual bedtime talk before we went to sleep.

"I told you not to worry about it, Michael. It's okay. I'm just curious about your plans for the weekend."

I received a mischievous squint and watched him zip his lips, and lock them with an invisible key that he threw into the empty air behind him. I rolled my eyes.