Ch. 58: Tony

The following week felt weird without Benjamin. Of course there had been days when he wasn't in school, but I'd usually always meet up with him in one way or another anyway. If I was ill, he made me one of his infamous sandwiches and if he was sick, I would make him warm soup or cupcakes. And if we couldn't meet, at least we talked on the phone. Now we did neither.

I wished I could talk to Michael too, because I missed him terribly. Perhaps I was just being needy, but somehow the usual phone call before we went to sleep wasn't enough. I felt alone. Sure, I hung out with Ruby, Frida, Tim and Rowan, but that wasn't the same. Luckily, today was Thursday and I actually didn't have the time to hang out with anybody, since I had a lot of packing and planning to do. Because tomorrow after school, I was going home to Idaho.

"Mia?"

Auntie Dorothy called from the kitchen, and I barely heard her since I had my head inside my closet, trying to find a pair of shorts.

"Yes?"

"Have you seen Tony today?"

I thought about it. I know I saw him last night, when I refilled his bowl with cat food. And I think I spotted him on his usual place on the headrest of the couch this morning. But after that?

"No, I haven't," I called back, huffing for not finding the grey one I was searching for. I guess black would have to do. I was only wearing in while sleeping anyway. There was a knock on the door, and auntie Dorothy peeked her head in with worry clearly evident in her face.

"He's been gone for several hours," she said. "He hardly ever leaves the yard. And if he does, he's always close enough to hear when I call for him."

"Maybe he's growing bolder and wanted to explore the neighborhood?" I suggested. After all, neutered or not, he was growing up to be an adult cat, so I guessed it was just a matter of time before he started claiming his own territory.

"But I already took two trips to search for him. Even as far as the gym across Patrick's house."

I raised my eyebrows. That was indeed unusual for Tony. Maybe he'd been scared away by a dog? Or locked inside a garage somewhere?

"I hope he wasn't hit by a car," auntie said silently, which caused me to walk over and give her a hug.

"I'm sure that's not the case. There are hardly any cars around here at all. Only the ones belonging to those who live here."

"I guess you're right. I'm just worried. This isn't like him, and I want him to be indoors before I go to Patrick's for the evening."

I smirked.

"So you guys are serious now?" I asked curiously.

"Actually... I don't know. I guess so."

The way she blushed and tried to hide her smile told me what I needed to know.

"Good. You look great together."

"You really think so?"

I nodded.

"I do. As long as you're not wearing those hideous granny blouses and old fashioned pleated skirts."