Ch. 23: Stalker

I had it all planned.

After a couple of weeks where I searched up pretty much every single person in Mia's family, I finally found her. She was living in Sacramento with her aunt. But there were things about her relatives I didn't quite understand, and the way people reacted when they heard her name was surprising. Shocking, even. But I had to find out more about that later. As for now I was just so incredibly relieved that my private investigator William Phillips had found out where she lived. And the first thing I did was to order a large bouquet of long-stemmed roses, just like the once I'd bought on what was supposed to be our first date. And I had a tiny hope that she would call me after I'd left my phone number on the card.

Private investigator, yes. I was officially a stalker. I was Billie Jean. Who'd ever believe that? Definitely not me.

Mia was doing well living with her aunt, and working hard on her education. At least I didn't ruin that, despite what Gabby said about Mia leaving school because of what happened between us. There was just one thing that bothered the heck out of me; I couldn't get her phone number. William searched through every database he knew, but it was probably registered under a different name. And it didn't look like she had a lot of friends yet, because the few people he'd asked from her class didn't have it. But at least I knew her address.

So here I was, sitting in a parked car on the sidewalk, just far enough away not to look suspicious.

I didn't know if Mia was home or not, but after placing my letter under the doormat and ringing the bell, I hoped she'd come out and read the letter so she could understand how I felt. Then, when or if she started to look around, I would step out from the shadows and we'd have the happy ending you see in all romantic movies. The ones where the prince always got his princess. Instead it was her aunt that came out, and she didn't even see the letter. She just closed the door.

It was wrong of me to assume everything would work out fine. A plan like this was probably doomed to fail anyway, so I walked back to the car in disappointment and sat down without really knowing what to do. But just as I was about to drive off into the darkness, I saw her. She came walking toward my car, obviously heading home, and she was holding hands with a boy.

Who the hell was he? William never told me there was a new man in her life. Yet there he was. A tall and muscular idiot with what looked like blonde hair, and his hands were all over her. And when they stood at their porch and said goodbye, he even kissed her! He kissed my girl!

Except, she wasn't my girl, and I was just a creep sitting in a car, spying on her, consumed by a jealousy stronger than anything I'd felt before. And as things were now, there wasn't much I could do about it that wouldn't drive Mia further away from me than she already was. What I wanted to do though, was to run right up to them and punch the guy's nose. I was the one who was supposed to hold her hands and hug her. I was the one who should be kissing her like he did at this very moment. She was supposed to be mine.

Mia had told me to leave her alone. Not with words, since I never got a chance to talk to her after that night. By actions. I'd heard people say actions speak louder than words, but I'd never felt the true meaning of that until now. She cut me out of her life, yet I couldn't stay away. I tried to forget her and what we had, but I failed. And I tried not to miss her, but I couldn't. Instead I found myself staring at my phone every night, hoping that she'd suddenly text me, but she never did. Now I knew why. She'd moved on. Without me.

There was only one thing I could do...

<><><>

"MIA? ANOTHER LETTER FOR YOU!"