Ch. 43: When once equals always

The rest of the day together with Michael went by like it was mere minutes. We walked hand in hand like a lovesick couple, passed the stable where we parked the night before, and ended up outside his beautiful mansion. I didn't get to take a look inside though, because we ran out of time. But at least he gave me a quick walk about, guiding me between the areas where he planned the different facilities he had I mind, such as the arcade, the zoo and even a train station. He was already done with the pool and the cinema, but I wasn't allowed to see neither. Instead he insisted that it would be a nice treat to make sure I would return next weekend as planned. And...

I simply couldn't wait!

So much for taking things slow, Mia.

I was back home with my aunt way too soon, and I hated every part of saying goodbye to Michael. And obviously so did he, because he sent me a picture of a sad puppy already before the car had disappeared down the street. This time I replied without hesitation, and sent him a sad bunny in return.

I didn't get much time to dwell on it though, because auntie Dorothy fried me from the moment I set my foot into the house. I didn't even get to close the door behind me, before she peppered me with questions. I tried to keep most to myself, but that didn't stop her from teasing the shit out of me for not being able to stop smiling.

Unfortunately, she also brought me back to the harsh reality when she told me that Ryan refused to give any sort of statement to the police, and solely claimed his innocence based on the fact that the only evidence there was, was Benjamin beating the shit out of him. Auntie Dorothy said it was his parents who had decided that it was best to play defensive, and put all the blame on Benjamin, claiming that he had drugged me to frame Ryan in some kind of twisted, delusional way. So things looked pretty damn dark, since it was his words against Benjamin's, with me caught in the middle.

If only Benjamin had brought me to the hospital that night. Not because I needed medical treatment, but to get it documented so we could have some sort of proof that it happened. Ruby, Rowan and Frida were all intoxicated, and completely irrelevant as witnesses, according to Ryan's parents. God, I hated the fact that they were lawyers! They literally knew every little loophole there is, and I was terrified for Benjamin's future. Needless to say, I didn't sleep much that night.

Surprisingly enough, I wasn't very tired when Monday morning came, and I woke up to my phone blowing up with notifications. I only read a few of them before I had to rush off not to get late.

"I miss you, babe. 🥺"

"One hundred and nineteen hours, thirty eight minutes and seven painful seconds, and I'll see you again. Well, one hundred and nineteen hours, thirty seven minutes and forty eight seconds now. Seven... Six... Five..."

I laughed out loud.

"What? It's true! I counted. 😌"

"You're too cute for your own good," I smiled to myself.

"Gm to you too, handsome. I'm in a hurry rn, but I'll call you in between second and third class. Idk if you have the time to talk then, but I'll do it anyway."

Then I contemplated if I should add a 'miss you' and a heart at the end, or if that would seem clingy. After all, this was all new to me. Not texting him, of course, but knowing that he was actually my boyfriend.

"Holy cow. Michael Jackson is my boyfriend," I whispered to myself. Then I typed another message and pressed send before I could change my mind.

"I miss you too. 😭💔"

"Great. That will boost his ego into the next week or so," I mumbled, and rolled my eyes as I walked through the gates and into the school yard.

I immediately felt that something was off.

I headed towards the entrance and checked my reflection in the giant glass doors before they automatically opened. I couldn't see anything peculiar. My clothes were okay and my hair was gathered in the new braid knot my aunt taught me. Practical and smooth, yet it didn't help the uneasy tension that grew inside me when curious eyes cast stolen glances at me. Did the rumors about Michael and I come out already? Then I gasped and felt a sting of anger. Did Benjamin tell on us? No. He'd never do anything like that. Would he?

What confused me more than the many looks though, was the way they were staring at me. While some were judgmental, others were obnoxious, which were mostly the male part of the students. Then there were the ones who looked at me with pity. Why would they pity me for dating Michael?

"Mia!" I heard someone call out, and I found Ruby running towards me with concern written all over her face.

"Hey. What's up?" I asked, still weirded out by all the glares.

"Why the hell didn't you pick up? Did you get my messages? I must have sent over a hundred. You have no idea how hard I've tried to reach you, and so did Rowan and Frida. I swear to God, I had no idea! We contacted the police as soon as we found out, and they're trying to stop it from spreading. But..."

She sighed sadly and gave me a short hug.

"I'm afraid most of the people at school already saw."

"Saw what? Where's Benjamin?"

Ruby pulled me out of the hallway and into the girl's restroom close by, safe from all curious ears and eyes. But judging by what Ruby said, they probably had enough gossip to last at least a couple of months.

"He's at home. Hopefully. I've never seen him so angry before. I mean, Friday when all that shit went down? He was like an angel in comparison."

"What?" I gasped. Benjamin and angry weren't two words you'd normally use in one sentence in the first place, and now Ruby portrayed him like a blood-thirsty beast?

"Tim, Rowan and Rowan's cousin, André, went after him. I hope they went to calm him down and stop him from doing anything stupid. Or... They've all gone to do exactly that."

"Something stupid? Ruby, what the hell are you talking about?"

"Ryan is out of the hospital and... Uhm. You didn't read my texts, did you?" Ruby asked with serious eyes. And when I shook my head in confusion, she took a deep breath.

"He recorded it."

Nausea cut through me like a tidal wave and I couldn't move.

"Ryan recorded having sex with you. Or... Almost having sex. And now it's all over the internet. The police are trying to take it down, but you know how fast stuff like that spread."

"Oh, my God," I whispered, feeling so close to fainting that I was both dizzy and weak. And Ruby noticed, because she quickly pulled me into one of the stalls so I could sit on the toilet seat.

"Do you want me to get you anything?" she asked, but I couldn't do anything else but to stare at her. Flashbacks from that night flared through my mind like fire from a machine gun, and I struggled to breathe. His hands had been cold when he tore my dress off. His mouth had a strong stench of alcohol and peanuts, and his lips felt thin and hard when he kissed my shoulder. I remembered it. The hurtful way he slapped and squeezed my ass. The way he pulled my hair, and how desperate I was to get away from him. I remembered everything from that night, even though my brain had done its best to protect me from it. And now it all came crashing down and exploded right in my lap.

"Mia? I'll go and call your aunt to have her pick you up."

I couldn't speak. I couldn't even see what was in front of me. I only saw the fog of things I wanted to forget, that relentlessly clouded up everything around me right in this moment, and I grabbed Ruby's arm and refused to let go. So, instead of leaving me to make the call, she sunk down in front of me and wrapped her arms around me. Then she just held me while I cried on her shoulder and my body shook in violent sobs.

"It'll be okay, Mia. We're all here for you, and we'll make sure you'll get through this. Okay?"

I nodded without believing a word she said. Because I knew... I knew way too well that if something first is out on the internet, it'll stay there in one way or another. This would always haunt me and probably ruin the future jobs and other things. It was there for everybody to see.

Forever.