Ch. 68: Reality and secrets

I was back in Sacramento. Despite Michael's attempts to convince me to stay a few days longer, I really needed to get back to my old life. Except, it wasn't my old life anymore. Too much had changed, both after what happened with Ryan, and the news about me dating such a famous man. After all the warnings and advice I got about how the tabloids managed to twist everything around, I should be prepared for the rumors created by the endless headlines in every thinkable magazine and news channel.

Well, I wasn't.

It was hurtful to hear people I didn't even know talk about me being a gold digger and a slut, although they didn't necessarily say it directly. But what was worse; they found out about Ryan, which probably was why they called me slut. Even though Michael's lawyer made another public announcement where he explained what happened, the journalists were divided. Either they made it look like everything was a fraud I used to get some of Michael's fame and money, or they embraced it to the fullest and defended me and other girls in the same situation. I appreciated the latter.

As long as they didn't find out about the threesome... That would forever be our dirty, little secret. Hopefully.

"Look who's here. Isn't it the future Mrs. Jackson?" Frida teased and made me blush and bite my lip. Then I got a hug from both her and Ruby. We were standing in the locker room, ready to start the day.

"Where's Benjamin?" I asked, both to change the topic and because I still hadn't heard from him. I didn't even know if he was home from Denver.

"He's on his way over here as we speak."

She pointed at my best friend, who was strolling toward us with his nose planted in his phone. He was smiling.

"Now, don't think you're off the hook that easily, miss girl. Why didn't you tell us? We thought you had something going on with him?" Frida smirked and nodded toward Benjamin. She wasn't completely wrong, though.

"Yeah..." I dragged. I needed to choose my words right.

"How long have you been dating Michael Jackson?"

I frowned at the use of his full name, but chose not to correct her.

"Not very long," I admitted. They didn't need to know how complicated things had been the past year.

"Days? Weeks? Months? Can we meet him?"

I giggled.

"A couple of weeks or so. But he's pretty busy, so I can't promise anything."

Too busy to visit and barely time to talk on the phone, I thought to myself and felt sad.

"Fair enough. But you could always tie him up and bring him here anyway," she snickered, and Ruby slapped her arm.

"He'll probably be here for the graduation," she said, but I shrugged. I didn't expect that.

"That would cause a lot of chaos, though."

"Can you imagine how everybody would surround him for hugs, pictures and autographs?" Ruby reasoned. She was the most realistic of them after all, and she hit the nail on the head.

"Hello, ladies."

I didn't know how much I'd missed Benjamin's deep voice until I heard it behind me, and I immediately wrapped myself into his arms and gave him a hug and a kiss on the cheek.

"I've missed you so much, Benny."

"Ditto," he sighed happily. He seemed so different from the Benjamin he was before I left to visit Michael.