Ch. 83: Giving something back

Time flew by and before I knew it, it was almost mid summer and I was neck deep in searching for a job. Michael had told me to take a year off and just have fun, but I refused. I needed to do something useful. So, not long after I had my surgery done and got the cysts removed, I started calling around and handing out resumes to whatever job that caught my interest. And since I graduated in sociology and had a major in psychology, the market was pretty open. It didn't make it any easier, though. Especially since some of the people I talked to were busier asking questions about Michael, rather than listening to me when I tried to elaborate on my qualifications and why I wanted the job.

I was quick to rule out jobs within the policy and market research analyst field. That was boring as heck, and didn't give me the satisfaction of making a difference. I wanted to feel useful and help people. Especially because of my own childhood. If it wasn't for the system picking up on my biological mother's drug issues as early as they did, I wouldn't be alive today. And since I knew how it felt to be in foster care and sent from family to family for a few years, I wanted to help children so that they didn't have to go through all of that. At least not that long. Of course, I knew it wouldn't be easy, but at least I could do my best.

"Wow... I mean, thank you. Y-yes, I'll see you on Monday. Third floor? Fourth? Okay, that's... Wow... Thank you. Bye."

I hung up and stared at my phone until I heard Michael walking up behind me.

"Is everything okay?" he asked.

"I..."

"You?"

"I got the job," I said silently. Then the realization hit me with full force and it felt like I was exploding with joy and relief.

"I got the job! Oh, my God! I got the job, Michael!"

I had already leapt up from where I was sitting on the couch, and almost crashed into his arms.

"Congratulations, babe. I'm so happy for you. Which one is it? The one in Glendale?"

"No, it's here. Here in Santa Barbara, at the Tri-counties regional center. Oh, my gosh. I can't believe it!"

We kissed and Michael chuckled at my eagerness.

"Yikes! I'm not a student anymore. I'm officially an adult, and the next on the list will be grey hair and mid-life crisis. Oh, no..." I ranted, and Michael shook his head.

"I think you skipped a few stages."

"Oh?" I asked. My mind was all over the place.

"Yeah," he said and kissed my forehead, before he grabbed my hand and made me look at the promise ring. "The part where I ask you to marry me, and this turns into a proper engagement ring."

My jaw fell open and I just stared at him.

"And the part where you walk up the aisle and say yes to being my wife."

The smile and his eyes were sparkling like a thousand stars when he spoke, and my body was trembling all over.

"And the day we become parents, in one way or another."

He kissed me again, and I finally found my voice again.

"You know that I just grew up, right? Like, literally five minutes ago?"

Michael's laughter was so contagious that I started giggling, too. Then we just hugged, and I loved the way the voice rumbled in his chest.

"I'd love that," I whispered eventually, and pulled away just enough to look at him. "I'd love all of that. And I love you more than anything."