Ch. 18: A Benny special

"Hello?"

Gabby's slightly whining voice was ringing in my ear channels, and caused me to sigh and close my eyes. I didn't really want to talk to her anymore. Not after what happened, and after everything got ruined with Mia.

"Hey. It's me."

"Michael! How are you? I've tried to call you, but..."

"I didn't answer. Yeah, I know. I'm sorry, I guess."

"You guess? You blocked me, didn't you?"

I couldn't answer that. I was just glad she couldn't see me blush, because it was true. I did block her and even deleted her number. That's why I had to ask Bill to get it for me when I decided it was necessary to talk to her for the sake of my sanity. Even though I was still mad at her, being angry didn't help bringing Mia back. And right now I was so desperate to talk to her, that I'd do anything just to hear the sound of her voice.

"Have you heard anything from her?"

I heard an exasperated huff from the other end.

"Not a word. She's muted me everywhere. I had to borrow my friend Declan's phone to try and contact her, but her profiles are gone from Instagram, Facebook, Twitter... Everything. It's like she's disappeared from the surface of the earth."

"I know. I tried to call her parents a few times, but they called me a psychopath and a stalker, and told me I wasn't me. Like... I wasn't Michael Jackson, but an impersonator of some sort. I don't know what Mia has told them, but I know her mother recognized my voice. I just know she did."

I'd lost count of how many times I had scolded myself for what I did. I don't even understand why I could justify it even though I was under the influence of alcohol. It just wasn't me.

"I've been at her house several times, but they won't let me in," Gabby admitted. "I barely got to talk to DeeVana, but she just told me to leave her sister alone. And when I asked if Mia was still in town, she called me a bitch and flipped me the bird."

You deserved that, I thought. Heck, I deserved it too.

"Do you think she moved?"

"Positive. I haven't seen her in ages. Like, at all. She wasn't even in school when the exams started."

I felt a nauseating knot in my stomach.

"Oh, my God. We ruined her education?"

Gabby was silent for once, but it only made me feel even worse than I already did.

"I honestly don't know."

"And you have no idea where she could possibly be?"

"Not a clue. I tried to remember if she had any close family elsewhere, but Mia wasn't the type to travel much because of her anxiety, so at least she didn't visit them often. I was actually surprised she dared to fly to Houston to see you."

If only she didn't need Gabby to come with her that last time, then everything would be fine. Even if Mia just wanted to be friends, I could at least show her how much she means to me.

"She'll get over it," Gabby said, sounding quite certain. I still had my doubts, though. Maybe she'd get over it, but I don't think either of us would be a part of her future. We simply didn't deserve it.

"Yeah," I said, knowing perfectly well that Gabby could hear by the tone in my voice what I thought about that case. If only I could talk to Mia one final time. Just once, so I could explain everything and beg her to forgive me. Even if she turned her back to me for good, we'd both know that I at least tried.