Ch. 62: A threat or a favor?

"Mia? Have you seen my puppy slippers?"

I don't know how long I stood in the kitchen, completely frozen to the floor, wishing everything was a bad dream. But the way my body ached after standing too long in an awkward position, and the way DeeVana reacted, told me that I was most definitely not dreaming.

"Who are you?" she asked, and I was glad she quickly picked up on the tension in the room. The air was so thick I could barely get enough into my lungs, and I was shaking all over. But Veronica kept staring without saying a word.

"I asked for your name, bitch. Why are you here? Did you get lost or something?" DeeVana pushed, but Veronica still didn't move a muscle.

"Do I have to call your mama to pick you up or do you prefer people in white coats?"

My sister was getting angry, and I wasn't sure how I felt about that. Yes, I wanted her to make Veronica leave faster than hell, but there was something that told me to be careful. I couldn't see her left hand. What if she had a weapon?

"Dee..." I whispered, and tried to keep her from going off like a pitbull.

"Are you deaf? If you don't answer, then get the hell out of here!"

"Dee," I said again, and managed to grab her wrist. I knew she could feel how cold and sweaty my palm was, and that probably convinced her not to approach the woman. Her psychedelic grin never faded, and her eyes barely left mine. Even when DeeVana backed away to pick up my phone that had fallen to the floor, she had her gaze fixated on me. DeeVana held it up so she could see, which caused her eyes to flicker for a moment. But as soon as they were back on me, it felt like I was being pinned by billions of tiny needles.

"If you don't leave, I will call the cops."

DeeVana spoke slowly and emphasized every word. Then she took a step forward and I saw the short flash of something in Veronica's hand, and I immediately grasped for my sister again.

I wanted to warn her, but I couldn't speak. I was too terrified to do anything at all. I just kept squeezing DeeVana's hand so hard that it had to hurt, even though I was too numb to feel anything.

"I say it one last time," DeeVana threatened, and punched in the number to my screen lock.

"I give you one minute to get out."

I'd never heard my sister so eerily calm and collected, and I prayed to God that I would never hear her speak like that to me. But just as she was about to show Veronica that she dialed 911, it seemed like Veronica finally snapped out of whatever trance she was in. Her wicked smirk never faded though, and by now I was convinced that it was etched into my mind forever.

"I'll leave," she said and let out a strange giggle, and both DeeVana and I took a step back when she took one forward. I don't think DeeVana had seen the knife yet, but she didn't have to to know that the girl was both unpredictable and dangerous. You could see it from the moment you met her.

"I just wanted to say hi."

A shudder went through me, and Veronica snickered silently when she noticed. Then she took another few steps forward while she kept staring at me. And when she raised her hand that was holding the knife, I expected her to attack, but surprisingly enough she didn't. She put it on the kitchen island instead, which was the only protection we had, and put her hands in the pockets of her jeans.