Ch. 85: Surprise

"Argh... Pick up, dammit!" I huffed to myself. I had called Benjamin six times, and he didn't answer.

"I told you he's busy humping his girl," Michael remarked. He sat next to me with a pencil in his hand and his nose planted in a notebook. I didn't know if he was drawing or writing lyrics. It might as well be both.

"Oh, shush. He's not like that."

"Oh, really?"

"Really. He's probably busy doing job interviews or helping his sister. She's going to Denver next week. You know the place where Benjamin was after what happened with Ryan?"

Michael looked up and nodded, and his smirk made me frown.

"What?" I asked, confused.

"Of course I know. I paid for it."

I gasped.

"You did?"

He didn't respond to that, and returned his attention to his notebook.

"Hello?" I suddenly heard.

"Benjamin? Finally! I've been trying to reach you..."

"I know, I know. I'm sorry. I've just been busy..."

He mumbled something, and after what Michael just said, I decided not to ask.

"I'm preparing to move out of my dad's house."

My eyes widened.

"You are? Where?"

"To LA."

"For real?" I exclaimed, ecstatic. Then I turned to Michael while I feverishly pointed at my phone.

"Benjamin's moving here! To LA!"

Again, the same smirk.

"I know," he said again, and I frowned for the second time. Exactly how much did they actually talk?

"When?" I asked Benjamin.

"In about three weeks or so. So I've been busy searching for a job, and I just got off the phone with the CEO of Walter and son. It's a company that's producing health care equipment. Everything from hygiene products to wheelchairs. And they're doing a lot of research on elderly..."

"But I thought you were going to be a teacher?" I asked, confused.

"I know. It's not exactly what I had in mind before I graduated, but everything is based on statistics and science, which was what I majored in. I just don't teach. I will have my own office and everything."

He sounded so eager that I got tears in my eyes.

"Oh, Benny. I'm so happy for you. But aren't there many applicants? Don't get me wrong, but this is LA. Not the suburbs of Sacramento."

"Of course there are. But I have an advantage. And do you know what kind? The CEO is my dad's cousin."

I squealed.