Ch. 63: The princess and the ladybug

"...ponytail, yes. No, the time at the airport she had a braid, and when I first met her it was pinned up."

"And when was that?" the police officer asked while he scribbled something in his notebook. I groaned.

"Like I told your colleague over there..."

I scowled at the man I talked to two minutes ago. Why couldn't the two officers at least cooperate with each other?

"...I met her when I visited Michael at his ranch last weekend."

"And who is this Michael?"

"Jackson, dammit! She's his chef! Or was."

The officer squinted at me, probably thinking that I was delirious. Why didn't people believe me? It seemed like I immediately was labeled a nutcase whenever I mentioned his name. Which I kind of was...

"Look, I just want that woman to stay away from me. That's all I'm asking."

"Mia? What on earth is going on?"

Mom's startled expression and nervous voice interrupted us, and when she saw me, she immediately hurried over and gave me a hug.

"Our neighbors called and told us that there were police cars and flashing lights in our driveway. What happened? Did someone get hurt?"

Then she gasped.

"Where is DeeVana?" she shouted, and looked around in panic. Luckily DeeVana heard her, and waved from the couch where she was giving her statement to the other officer. It seemed like they were more concerned about my mental health than the actual problem; Veronica.

"Oh, thank God!" she praised, and gave my sister an equally tight hug. Then she frowned.

"But if nobody's hurt or dead and everything is fine, then why are they here?"

She pointed at the police men before she started looking around.

"Everything is fine, right? Did something happen in the club? Oh, my God! Did someone attack you?"

"Mom! Calm down. We're okay and nothing is damaged, but there was an incident," I started, but gulped when I saw her cross her arms.

"Mia has a stalker," DeeVana said, and saved me from mom's intense interrogation. I swear that woman was a better detective than all the investigators in the FBI combined.

"Tell me who he is, and I'll claw his eyes out before I feed him his own testicles!"

I knew better than to laugh when she was in that mood.

"It's not a man. Her name is Veronica, and she was Michael's chef."

Dad came through the door with the same expression and the same questions my mom had, and right after him I saw a man I definitely didn't expect.

"Michael!" I burst out, jumped up and ran into his arms, and it felt like I melted into his body the second we touched. He hugged me tightly and cradled the back of my head, and I could hear a quiet moan that was for my ears only. Then one of the officers interrupted us by clearing his throat.