Ch. 29: Tiny steps

"What in heaven's name was going on out there?" auntie Dorothy asked in bewilderness. She'd shut the door behind us and tried to catch my gaze, but I was too busy pacing back and forth like a caged animal. I didn't see anything other than the empty air in front of me, and it was all blurred.

"Was that really Michael Jackson?"

I sobbed some kind of confirmation and dragged my hands across my face. They were cold as ice, and now they were wet from tears as well. Nonetheless, they felt strangely soothing against my cheeks.

"And they were arguing because...?"

"Because of me! I've ruined everything! No, he did! And then I... But he..."

"Mia! Calm down and start from the beginning."

She walked up to me and helped me with my coat. Then she huffed.

"God, you're an icicle, Mia. Go tuck yourself into bed, and we'll talk after I've made you something warm to drink. Tea? Soup? Hot chocolate?"

Then she thought about it.

"Nevermind I asked. Hot chocolate it is."

That would have made me smile if I wasn't so upset. But I did what she said, and found an extra blanket to put over my duvet as well.

Auntie Dorothy returned a few minutes later, mumbling to herself. Then she gave me a steaming hot mug, just like she promised. I struggled to drink it, though. I was still choked up from crying, with random sobs that made my whole body shake. It was hard even holding the mug without spilling any.

"Do you want to tell me why those boys were fighting?" she asked with concern, after she sat down on my bed with one leg crossed on top of the other and her hands hugging her knees.

'Boys'? Michael was thirty years old and a grown man, and so was Benjamin although he was my age. But I chose to ignore her.

"Not really."

"Okay, let me rephrase that."

I should have known she wouldn't take no for an answer.

"Why were they fighting? What happened?"

Typical. When I'd finally calmed myself enough to breathe normally, she just had to trigger my illogical emotions. It wasn't fair!

"He... I... And then... Oh, my God. It's just so fucked up," I stuttered.

"Watch your language, young lady."

I rolled my eyes. They were so sore and swollen that they were burning.

"Like you're the right one to talk?" I muttered.

"Do as I say, not as I do," she replied matter of factly. Then she raised her eyebrow to make me continue. But we were interrupted by the sound of the doorbell.

"If that's them, don't let them in!" I exclaimed, and my breathing grew even more hectic together with my rising anxiety.

"Alright, calm down."

"I'm serious! I don't want to see either of them."