Ch. 31: Behind(s)

It was after school, and I was on my way to meet Benjamin. We'd decided to go to the local diner to grab something to eat, since my aunt was working late. That way I didn't have to eat alone. It was Benjamin's idea, and it was highly appreciated, even though I wouldn't mind being on my own for a while.

After the confrontation with Michael, I was afraid that our friendship was broken. Luckily I was wrong. Actually, in many ways Benjamin and I were even closer than before, and I didn't really understand why. After all, I kind of lied to him by not telling him the truth about what happened to me before we met. And in some way I kept on with this lie since I still didn't tell much about it. He just knew the guy was Michael Jackson and that we had some sort of history together, and that seemed to be enough for now.

Then there was this giant elephant in the room; that Benjamin wanted something more than just a friendship. The fact that we had sex should make everything awkward as hell. Still, it didn't. It was just us, Benjamin and I. And he was pretty much the only true friend I had.

Right as I rounded the corner of the school building, I saw him standing with his back facing me while he was talking to someone on the phone.

I didn't want to be rude and eavesdrop, so I contemplated whether to go back inside or to make my presence known. I chose the latter. Then at least he knew I was listening to their conversation. Only, he didn't hear me when I cleared my voice. And he didn't see me either, since he kept facing the open gate where people hastily left after a long day with lectures and uninspired teachers. So I stepped closer and coughed even louder, to outsource the buzzing sound from talking people.

"...because I say so!"

The irritability in Benjamin's voice caught my attention. Was he mad?

"No, listen. That's your own fault, so suck it up and be a man about it. She... No. That won't end well, and if you knew her, you'd know."

Were they talking about me?

"No. No surprises, you should know that. Look... I don't know! And even if I did know, you'd be the last person I'd tell. Why? Because you don't deserve her, man! No, I don't but... No. No, of course not, but..."

Benjamin dragged his fingers through his hair and made it look like he just woke up. I liked that look on him.

"Well, I don't care! She hasn't been herself ever since you were here, and I'm cynical enough to blame it all on you. Because... Because... Why not? Whatever. Good fucking bye!"

With a loud groan he hung up and looked like he was about to throw his phone to the ground.

"Asshole..." he muttered. Then his eyes widened when he finally saw me, and he quickly put it into his pocket instead.

"Oh. Hi."

He went from looking angry to downright sheepish in a matter of seconds, and the way he stuffed his hands into his back pockets like a shy five year old, almost made me giggle.

"Are you alright?"

"Uh. Yeah, of course I am," he replied and came closer to give me a short hug.

"I didn't mean to e..." I started.

"No! It's okay. It wasn't anything important."

"Okay," I more or less asked. I mean, it did sound kinda important by the way he was arguing with whoever it was at the other end.

"Yeah, it was just some random idiot."

His expression changed when he said that. He got that little twitch in the corner of his left eye and his lips narrowed slightly, just the way they always did when he was about to start laughing.