Ch. 81: Graduation

My mom was a mess. A snotty, sobbing mess. And because she was crying, my aunt was crying too, and my dad wanted so desperately to laugh at them. But of course, he didn't dare to do it other than when they weren't looking. DeeVana, on the other hand, was busy checking out potential victims out of old habit, and I could see her eyes returning to Rowan a lot more than I appreciated. Not that it mattered, though. After the graduation ceremony was over, she would never see him again.

Lucky for him. And lucky for her boyfriend.

"Is that your family?" Benjamin whispered and nodded discreetly at my bunch of tragedies, and I rolled my eyes behind my hand.

"Yup. Where's your dad and sister?"

"Close to the exit. Angeline has a hard time dealing with crowds. She has her special coat, gloves and mask to protect herself from all the germs, but she needs to stand somewhere she can sneak out in case it gets too much."

I nodded. That was way too familiar.

"How about your 'loving' mom, then?"

I quoted out into the air even though it wasn't necessary, because Benjamin immediately sent me a look that told it all.

"She's not here, is she?"

"Of course not. She suddenly stopped caring again when she realized that dad wasn't going to take her back. Can't say I was surprised."

I reached out to squeeze his hand, and he smiled in that special way. The way where words were unneeded.

"Angie's going to Denver, too."

"Oh? The same place you were?"

"Yeah. Dad's been saving up for years, but had to spend it all on me. That's part of why I felt so shitty when I left. I knew she needed it more than me."

"Oh."

"It thanks to your precious Asshole, though."

"Excuse me?!" I gasped wide-eyed, and Benjamin chuckled.

"Asshole. Mike? Your boyfriend, remember?"

"I swear to God, you guys are so mean to each other..."

We were interrupted when the principal tapped on the microphone to start her speech, and she was still talking fifteen minutes later. But finally she started on the long list of graduates, and my heart rate spiked up more than I appreciated. This was the part of the ceremony I had dreaded ever since Christmas, when I realized it was only a few months left of my years of education. From this day I was never going back to school again, and the thought was so foreign that I struggled to fully comprehend it.

"Mia Fisher!"

I froze and couldn't get up.

"Go on. You can do it, Mousie. Bathing suits, remember?"

I stared at Benjamin and gulped, but I felt somewhat comforted by his large hand wrapped around mine.

"And you can picture the devil herself in front of those bathing ducks with no clothes at all," he added, hinting to the woman who was waiting for me with impatience more than clearly evident in her eyes.

"Ew," I mumbled and made a face.

"Mia Fisher!" the principal called out again, and Benjamin gave me a reassuring smile. So I took a deep breath and hoped I didn't faint on my way across the stage. And with stiff strides and my eyes locked on the woman in front of me, I thanked heavens that she was wearing her usual boring grey skirt and blazer. The rest of the ceremony went fine, and I thanked Benjamin profusely, and hugged him the hardest I could when we were done. Then we waited for the rest of the students to be called up, and I suddenly started to worry about how my hair was gonna look after I'd thrown my hat into the air. Maybe I should just keep it on?