Ch. 64: Blind love

I was watching Mia sleep with her head against the wall. The helicopter headset didn't seem to bother her, and the loud noise from the motor was calming more than annoying. Still, I wished I had taken the time to use my jet instead, so she at least could lay back and relax properly. She had to be so tired after all that happened.

I'd tasted the alcohol on her breath when I kissed her, but she was far from drunk. I hated the idea that she was out partying on her own, even though her sister was there. Nevertheless, I was glad she had fun.

But why couldn't they find Veronica? I'd put eight people on the case, and even contacted her father in jail in the middle of the night to ask if he knew anything about places that were special to her, but nobody knew where she was. Just the fact that she followed Mia all the way, first to Sacramento, then to Idaho was pretty crazy, most of all because I didn't understand her motive. I'd had stalkers before, but they were only after fame and money. Mia didn't have that. Was it jealousy? I mean, Veronica always behaved a bit strange, but nothing that I wouldn't consider as normal. Not until now. Not until I finally got a girlfriend.

As soon as the helicopter landed, my phone blew up with calls and messages, all telling me where I should have been right at that moment. They'd have to wait though, because I needed to take Mia home and make sure she was safe, so she could catch up on some sleep. I could sleep later. Or tomorrow.

"No, Michael. I don't want to be alone," Mia protested quietly, and I saw the fear in her eyes. I tried to calm her by kissing her cheek and squeezing her hand, but it didn't seem to help.

"But you've been up all night, and..."

"And? So have you."

I nodded in defeat. I couldn't lie about that.

"But you won't be alone, babe. My staff is there, and the security is..."

I frowned when she scoffed and gave me the eye.

"Isn't that what landed me in this situation in the first place? And you were even there with me then. Honestly, Michael. Please don't leave me there alone."

She was right. I brought her here to keep her safe, not to isolate her from the world. That wasn't fair at all. So I smiled at her and clasped my hands together.

"Well, then. Are you ready to meet Stevie Wonder?"

<><><>

I was going to join Michael at work. I really didn't consider the extent of what I'd asked for. I just knew for certain that I didn't want to be alone. And now I was going to meet another famous person. Only, he wasn't just famous. He was a part of my childhood, and his music had been blasted on full volume, with mom, DeeVana and I screaming the lyrics until the neighbor knocked on the door, asking if we needed help. He thought someone was in pain. Apparently neither of us were very good singers. And now I was actually going to meet the man behind those memories. Gosh. If my mom knew, she would be so jealous. Maybe I should ask for an autograph and a photo? That would keep me from getting disinherited, at least.

I giggled to myself. Of course she wouldn't do that for real.

"Okay. We're here. There's just one thing," Michael said and looked a bit worried. He hadn't opened the car door yet.

"Whatever my manager says, please ignore him. Okay? I'll take that discussion with him later."

"Okay," I half asked, and Michael explained.

"He's not especially happy that we're dating. He wants me to date women that can boost my career. Like Madonna, Cheryl..."

I gasped.