Ch. 24: Talk or not

Dear Mia

I don't know if you read the letters I'm sending you, but I write anyway.
I'm in Tokyo right now, and I've been for a month. I'm tired, but it's okay. All the hard work is paying off, so I can't really ask for more. Except for one thing that probably won't happen, although it would be the most perfect Christmas gift ever. I wish I could meet you again. Just one more time.

Anyway...

At the end of December I'll be back in LA. Maybe around the time you receive this letter? I don't know.

I haven't much more to say than what I've written in all the previous letters. I miss you terribly, and I can't express how much I regret what happened. I know I don't deserve it, but I'm begging you to give me another chance. At least to explain.

I miss hearing your voice. My days aren't the same without our usual phone call before we go to sleep. Our movie dates. You, making references to my songs. Me, pestering you with candy. Just us being us.

One more time, Mia.

Please?

~ Michael ~

💖

**********************************

There. I read it. And now it felt like I was crushed with sorrow and drowning in tears. His handwriting was awful, and there were words I barely understood, with small letters and big letters in a beautiful chaos. But I felt every single one of them deep inside my heart.

Did he cry when he wrote it? Probably not, but now I knew he felt the same as me. Then why was I so scared?

"Mia?"

I heard my sister call gleefully from the hall, and I desperately wished I had locked my door before reading the letter. I didn't want her to see me like this. So I quickly wiped my tears away and forced a smile when she grabbed the handle and barged in.

"Mia! Mom's going to the store. Is there something you need?"

A heart that's not broken and a clear mind.

"No. Not really," I replied and pretended like nothing. But DeeVana was my sister. She knew something was wrong.

"Hey. Why are you crying?" she asked, and her voice suddenly turned soft. She sat down next to me and reached for my hand, and that was enough to get my tear ducts overflow again.

"I don't know," I cried. "It's so stupid."

"What is?"

"Everything."

DeeVana frowned.

"Me, first of all. Why can't I deal with things like normal people do?"

"Because not everybody has been through what you have, Mia. You didn't get..."

"But it should be simple!" I cut in. "It shouldn't be that complicated, yet my brain can't let go and let the past be past."