Ch. 86: A new era

Mia was quieter than usual the whole evening, and I totally understood why. I felt weird about it, too. I mean, out of all the 330 million people in America, what were the odds that her best friend would meet her ex best friend at some random place and start dating? I'd say slim to none. But Benjamin was head over heels for Gabby and vice versa, and Mia did her best to accept that.

"Are you okay, babe?" I asked, after we'd curled up in bed like we used to. She sighed.

"Honestly?"

I hummed a reply, and kissed her cheek.

"I don't know. I don't know what to feel about it. I was finally starting to get used to my life without her, and now it all comes back. All our memories. Our childhood, you know? The time before our friendship got ruined?"

She paused for a moment.

"It's so strange. Not only having her around, but to see how enthralled Benjamin is with her."

"And her with him, too," I added, and Mia nodded. I didn't know Gabby other than from the two times we'd met, and the impression I had was most likely not very representative. Still, I couldn't help but to notice the long glances she sent Benny, and the way she beamed toward him when he smiled at her. They were a cute couple.

"It's so hard to forget. That night..."

I tried to stop her from going there, but I guess she needed to talk about it. I didn't. I just wanted to pretend it never happened.

"I can't believe how dumb I was."

"Dumb?" I frowned.

"Yeah? I could at least have said no. But it was like I just watched it from the outside, you know? I watched it happen, and I didn't have any say in it."

I was about to object, but she beat me to it.

"And it wasn't because I was afraid you wouldn't listen. And Gabby... She'd probably stopped if I punched her hard enough."

I tried not to giggle.

"She's always been like that. Head strong and impulsive. But she usually listened when I punched her hard enough. Only, this time I didn't really give her a chance. I was just too overwhelmed, I guess."

"Of course you were, babe. It was your first time. A lady's first time should definitely not be a threesome," I said and hugged her with one arm. Then I kissed her forehead. "And I don't think I can explain how much I regret what happened."

"Yeah. Me too," she mumbled. Then she sighed and looked into my eyes. "But it's not your fault. And it's not Gabby's fault. Not my fault, either. It was just a result of really bad judgment combined with alcohol."

I didn't protest.

"But I need to know something, Michael. Did you know about it?"

Her brown irises scanned every thought, every feeling and every single ion of my being, when she asked.

"Know what?"

"Did you know that Gabby was Benny's girlfriend? I mean, you two seem to talk a lot more than what I was aware of, so maybe..."