Ch. 47: Worries

I felt bad for leaving Mia yesterday. I knew she needed me, but I didn't have any choice. I was supposed to meet up with the president of UNICEF at noon yesterday, but I told them to cancel as soon as I heard about the tape. Only, they didn't cancel. They just postponed it, and I ended up having to meet with them anyway. Donating money to charity was something I loved to do. Brag about it wasn't. But in this particular case I had to show up for pictures, which would be difficult if I wasn't present. It wasn't like my manager, or anyone else for that matter, could do it for me. Therefore I had to leave Mia, even though it killed me to know how traumatized she probably was.

I sent her quite a few text messages last night, wishing her a good night's sleep, and I told her to call me if she needed someone to talk to. I was too restless to sleep much anyway. But I actually got more restless since Mia never called. She didn't even reply to my texts, and I could only hope the reason was that she was asleep.

Now it was morning, and I'd been lying awake since 5 am. I kept tossing and turning, until I gave up and took a shower instead. Then I sat down and stared dumbly at my phone.

Was she alright? I knew she struggled with anxiety, and I hoped her aunt would comfort her if she fell apart as a reaction to it all. If only I was there...

At 7 am I was pacing back and forth in my living room, and tried to find excuses for not going to the studio as planned. Unfortunately, I had a really important meeting with my agents about a contract, and if their offer was acceptable, I would sign. Fuck it. I didn't want to go there. I wanted to jump on my jet and get to Sacramento as soon as possible, and I even pictured Mia's face when I unexpectedly knocked on her door. The fact that I was busy here and she was busy with school, ruined that plan.

"Morning, babe. Did you sleep well?"

I waited, hoping she'd finally answer. But she didn't.

"Are you okay?" I wrote and nervously pushed 'send'. Still nothing.

"I've been thinking about you all night, Mia. I'm worried about you. 🥺"

I went into the kitchen and gulped down a full glass of water, even though I wasn't especially thirsty. And when she still didn't reply, I couldn't wait any longer. So I called her, but got no answer. I called again. And again. And finally, after the sixth time, I could hear her hoarse voice in the other end, and my heart plummeted. Was she crying?

"Hey, babe. How are you?"

I felt stupid for asking that. Of course I knew she wasn't alright.

"Did you sleep well?"

Then I quickly corrected myself.

"Did you get any sleep at all?"

She cleared her voice and sighed heavily.

"Not really."

"Nightmare?" I asked, remembering too well how she woke up in the middle of the night, crying and trembling in panic. And the worst thing was that I was the reason. At least that time.

"Yeah..." he mumbled, and I heard the sound of fabric being moved around. Maybe her duvet? "Three."

"Three? You had three nightmares in a row?" I exclaimed with sadness thick in my voice. My heart truly ached for her.