040 | silence after the storm

╔════════ 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐓𝐘

'𝐬𝐢𝐥𝐞𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐚𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐦' ═══════╝

━━ -ˋˏ★ˎˊ- ━━

...D'QAR, ILEENIUM SYSTEM

𝐋𝐀𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐈𝐍 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐆, the command room was nearly empty. Most people were outside still celebrating and running on a steady victory high. There would be a bonfire as soon as it got dark out, a wake for those they had lost.

For now, the three of them were just sitting in silence. The sound of a stray strategist's conversation mingled with the faint sound of the machines, but other than that there was no noise. Lyra had changed her entire outfit and was now wearing a paint-stained t-shirt that exposed both of her injured arms. It wasn't even worth going to the med bay until Finn's condition was completely stabilized. Lyra didn't want to run even the smallest risk of interrupting them.

Her legs were propped up on the bench as she leaned into Poe's chest. She had almost fallen asleep twice, his warmth easing her to the point where it finally felt safe to close her eyes. Rey sat across from them, just staring off into space while they all waited for Leia to come into the room and debrief them. Lyra looked at the empty spot where Finn should have been sitting.  They had all come so close, but the four of them had yet to be in the same place at the same time.

Don't worry, everything'll work out in the end. That was one of the last things Han had said to her. Had he known what would happen next? A part of her wondered if he had indeed seen the end before it began.

Every time she blinked, the scene rewound like a video on loop. Han standing on a catwalk like a hero out of time. Every time she hoped the ending would change and every time he fell away and into the light.

Chewie had gone off in search of solitude. Lyra knew it was Wookie tradition to mourn alone until they came to terms with their own grief, but still, she didn't like the thought of him just sitting all by himself. Being alone sounded like another kind of hell.

When Leia finally walked into the room, the noise startled Lyra so badly, she would have launched herself onto the floor if Poe hadn't already had a comforting arm wrapped around her waist. Every noise made her jump, her senses still on high alert for a lurking disaster to strike. The stress would fade with time as it always did, but it hadn't been this bad since she was younger.