016 | hope is a heartache

╔═══════════ 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐈𝐗𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

'𝐡𝐨𝐩𝐞 𝐢𝐬 𝐚 𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐚𝐜𝐡𝐞' ══════════╝

━━ -ˋˏ★ˎˊ- ━━

...D'QAR, ILEENIUM SYSTEM

𝐎𝐕𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐑𝐄𝐃 hexagonal cards in her hands, Lyra knew she was losing. It wasn't the half-smile on Reeve's terrible poker face either, it was the sole fact that she had lost every single one of the six games they had already played.

They were sitting on the floor of the med bay, bored out of their minds. But there wasn't much else to do when Lyra wasn't allowed to step foot through the doorway.

Reeve's fingers--stained with machine grease--gently fanned the cards down on the floor so Lyra could see them. A perfect hand, again.

Lyra threw her head back and let her own cards fall onto the floor in front of her, not caring that half of them were upside down. "I'm out. That's it. I suck at this, I think you've made your point."

Reeve snickered, neatly pulling the pile of stones back toward her. Lyra had only accumulated three little rocks the whole time, but it had been better than nothing. Reeve extended an arm and swept those into her pile, too.

"I win, again," Reeve sang, shaking her head and grinning like mad. Her dark curls were barely pulled back from her face, and they fell everywhere as she moved.

"I hate card games," Lyra sighed for at least the fifth time, leaning back onto the pillow behind her back. "They aren't even fun, it's pure luck."

Reeve tisked. "You hate them because you suck at them. You can't stand anything you aren't automatically good at."

"They're boring," Lyra sniffed.

"It's a shame you're shit at playing, your poker face could win tournaments," Reeve whistled as she put the cards back in their neat box.

"Funny you say that," Lyra mused. "Do you remember that mission Phoenix Squadron was assigned to Canto Bight?"

Reeve wrinkled her nose. "How could I forget? You were undercover for, what, four weeks? I didn't see you for a month."

"Five weeks," Lyra corrected. "Georgie was supposed to be sitting at a Sabacc table for a three hour long tournament, but he gets too excited when he has a winning hand--"