044 | harbinger

╔══════ 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐓𝐘 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑

'𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐛𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐫' ════════════╝

━━ -ˋˏ★ˎˊ- ━━

...GOVERNMENT DISTRICT, CORELLIA

𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄 𝐖𝐄𝐑𝐄 𝐌𝐀𝐍𝐘 𝐖𝐀𝐘𝐒 to break through a window.

If the lock was simple enough, the pane could be popped out of the frame. Or, if it came down to it, a small pry bar could be used to lift the glass up and out without making a sound. Theoretically, it was a quick and painless way of entry or exit.

As Lyra's body smashed through the glass of the twenty-third story window, she wondered why it could never be so simple.

Moving in a fluid arc, she attached a grappling cable to the window ledge half a second before the momentum of her body sent her in a dive down into the lower levels of the city. Corellia was especially bright tonight with the acrid smoke of an industrial haze. Colors bent and blurred in a wash of neon, and the sound of the alarm she had just triggered was only a distant echo.

Her feet landed firmly on a metal fire escape ten stories down. A melody of angered shouts echoed from above as she detached the graping cable. The pursuers hadn't chosen the smartest course of action chasing her right in the direction she needed to go.

Inside, the high ceilings of the room stretched almost as tall as the corridor wide . Gray vaulted arches rose, illuminated by the stately, gold-toned lamps of high society. Picking up her pace, she ran down the hall and towards the rest of her squadron. Georgie Bera came into view first.

"What took you so long?" Georgie said, glancing over at her. "I could have had this building demolished by now."

Lyra looked down the hallway to their left. All that drama above, and still no one was pursuing them down here. "I told you, no explosives tonight."

"And has anything exploded?" He fell into step next to her. "No it has not."

Hallways that were once a drab shade of gray were electrified with red light as the alert finally sounded. Every shadow was banished in the brightness, and the ear-splitting alarm echoed tirelessly. Meant to warn of imminent disaster, it was pointless now. Death had come the moment her squadron crossed the threshold of the legislative building.

Aliyah leaned against a wall, blaster in the grasp of her black-gloved hands as she peered around the corner. The sound of ion fired had ceased, and there were more than a few uniformed bodies strewn on the ground.

"I took care of the guards," Aliyah explained, breathing heavily. "The officers are still inside the room, we won't get very far getting the data unless we take care of them first."