025 | someday now

╔════════ 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘 𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄

'𝐬𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐝𝐚𝐲 𝐧𝐨𝐰' ════════════╝

━━ -ˋˏ★ˎˊ- ━━

...D'QAR, ILEENIUM SYSTEM

𝐋𝐘𝐑𝐀 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐍𝐎𝐑𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐍 scout tower were not on good terms.

First, there was the time one of the rungs on the ladder had broken under the weight of her boots and she had fallen thirty feet onto the ground below. That was three years ago, and Eleni had long since re-engineered the mechanics to get to the top. More recent was the time that Lyra and Aliyah had spent an entire night shift helping one of the scouts de-code a string of data that had turned out to be a radio advertisement rather than a First Order threat.

Most recent of all was the time she had almost kissed Poe Dameron.

Out on the landing strip in the light of a new day, it was easier to try and forget. Reeve was diligently working on a Green Squadron ship, and the landing area was a maze of fuel tankers, mechanics, and a scattered handful of pilots milling around outside. The breeze was thick with engine oil and damp terra.

Lyra bit into her apple with a loud crunch. Her eyebrows furrowed as she continued her conversation with Reeve through a mouth half full of fruit. "I just don't understand why you can't have Kenny redo it for you. Isn't that his job?"

Reeve scrunched up her nose, deep in her complaints about the new ensign, Kenny. "Okay, first, that is disgusting. And second, it's the principle of the thing," Reeve said, leaning forward on the tool cart. "I can't just ask him, I'm trying to establish that I have authority."

"It isn't disgusting," Lyra mumbled, taking another obnoxiously large bite just to prove her point. "And if you have to prove your authority in such an explicit way, it's going to seem like you're grasping for control."

Reeve groaned. "Have I ever told you you're too good at telling the truth?"

"Once or twice," Lyra smiled.

"You'd think since I'm his superior, he would just listen the first time. I mean, I could just threaten to demote him."

"Do it," Lyra shrugged. "He's being an ass, he might even deserve it."

Reeve shook her head. "You're more honest when you're tired, ever noticed that?"

"I'm not tired," Lyra said, covering her mouth with her hand. "Just went to bed late."