058 | escape velocity

╔════ 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐈𝐅𝐓𝐘 𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓

'𝐞𝐬𝐜𝐚𝐩𝐞 𝐯𝐞𝐥𝐨𝐜𝐢𝐭𝐲' ═════════╝

 ━━ -ˋˏ★ˎˊ- ━━

...YAVIN IV, OUTER RIM

𝐈𝐓 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐑𝐀𝐈𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐒𝐓𝐄𝐀𝐃𝐈𝐋𝐘 𝐎𝐍 𝐘𝐀𝐕𝐈𝐍 𝐈𝐕.

The stifling heat of the humidity pressed down on the jungle floor, and it made a cotton tank top and utility pants feel heavy with moisture after spending the day outside. Only as the sun started to fall in the sky did the heavy gray clouds blur into silver sheets of rain.

Lyra sat alone on the step of the back porch. The heel of her boot tapped against the stair in a ritualistic pattern. On Naboo, the rain clarified the terra. It washed away the scent of salt and fish that hung in the air of Kaadara.  She remembered the humid nights with her head pressed to a dormitory window, watching it streak past.  Somehow, this planet reminded her of what once was home.

After Crait, their only viable rendezvous left was Yavin IV.

Wetyin's Colony was the name of the surrounding settlements that had once been filled with more families. Now, it was less than a dozen houses interspersed with farmland. There was Mione Tailor's small home, and then the large mechanic's garage connected to Mione's property. Kes Dameron's house was the third point of interest, and that was where their strategy center was. Each one was within walking distance of the other, and there was even a jungle path that cut between the old garage and the Tailor's home. The only rule was that no one could walk the path alone or at night.

Low-pitched calls of Whisper Birds echoed in the distance, and thunder rumbled with languid ease. Verdant trees brushed against each other in the breeze at the edge of the yard. Vines hung so low they almost brushed the ground. The clouds were too thick to see the lightning, but the charged electricity was there. Potential energy just waiting to strike.

The porch door shut with a soft tap and Lyra heard footsteps coming from behind her.

"Here."  The older woman handed Lyra a cold glass of water. Moisture already condensed on the outside of the thin glass. "You look like you could use it."

"Thank you." Lyra gratefully took a long sip.

Mione Tailor sat on the step next to Lyra. Mione was tall, and freckles dotted the dark skin of her face from hours of work in the bright sun. Her graying, coily hair was pulled back with a bright green piece of fabric, and her brown eyes were never far from smiling.