080 | all things end

╔════ 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓𝐘

'𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐬 𝐞𝐧𝐝' ═══════╝

━━ -ˋˏ★ˎˊ- ━━

. . . RESISTANCE NAVAL CARRIER

𝐀 𝐂𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐒𝐄𝐃 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐖𝐎𝐑𝐍 photograph was held between his gloved fingers. He had kept it tucked in the pocket of his flight suit ever since Jess had given it to him. It was one of the pictures she had taken at the wedding with that damn camera she insisted on taking everywhere with her.

Go ask her to dance, do something. This is literally your perfect opportunity.

I was already dancing with her.

That was next to her, not with her.

The two people in the picture felt like strangers. It was a single moment in time where neither of them had been looking at the camera but they were both staring at each other. Lyra in her blue dress and braided her, smiling wide. He was looking at her with such pure adoration it was a wonder to him now that they had both been so oblivious.

Memory and time would never be his friend and all of his ghosts had names. Every night as he lay awake and stared up at the ceiling, he began to quantify them. All the people he had lost drifting in and out of conscious thought endlessly. They filtered in and out of clarity, details he was already beginning to lose; the sound of a laugh, the shape of a face. It became easier to hold the sharp memories once they were smoothed over, all creases gone.

He wanted the memory of Lyra to remain sharp and difficult. He wanted to continue to see the dim watchtower, her standing beneath the stars, light and shadow coming together to create the planes of her body, her face, her lips. The sound of her voice was still clear, the loss was still new. He could remember the press of her body against his, limbs tangled together like there was no separation between them.

He would say goodbye to her a thousand times if it would mean he got to see her again. Poe breathed in deep as he tucked the photograph under a dial on the instrument panel in front of him. There was a high likelihood that he was flying out for the last time. One more dance, my star girl.

"Black One, cleared for take off."

Poe cleared his throat. With the Wayfinder's coordinates, Rey would be leading them. "Dagger One, confirm ready for departure."