060 | runaway

╔════ 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐈𝐗𝐓𝐘

'𝐫𝐮𝐧𝐚𝐰𝐚𝐲' ═════════╝

 ━━ -ˋˏ★ˎˊ- ━━

...YAVIN IV, OUTER RIM

𝐓𝐖𝐎 𝐖𝐄𝐄𝐊𝐒 on Yavin IV was beginning to feel like a lifetime.

In the early hours of the morning, Lyra thought she would be the only one who was up in Mione's house. However, when she entered the kitchen, there was someone else sitting awake. Rey was nestled on the floor by the sofa, a lamp illuminating her spread. Papers and books were scattered in front of her. She was dressed in standard-issue cotton pants and a t-shirt, looking a lot more like a Resistance fighter than a Jedi.

"Hey," Lyra said. The floorboards creaked under her bare feet.

Rey barely looked up, not too surprised to see her. "Hey. Can't sleep?"

"No," Lyra gave a hollow laugh, still chasing away the remains of the dream. The place in the dark, the world between worlds. A woman clothed in silver, white haired with a staff in her hand like a beam of light. "But that's nothing new."

Rey smiled, giving Lyra her full attention. "It's much more quiet than in Kes's garage, there's too much snoring in those bunks. Mione was nice enough to let me stay over here, but I can't sleep, either."

Lyra sat cross-legged on the floor, picking up one of the scattered papers. It wasn't in Basic, and she recognized the language. "Mione's good at making people feel at home, isn't she."

"Yeah," Rey said, brown eyes flickering in the yellow light. "Can I ask you something?"

"Of course."

"When did the Resistance start to feel like your home? I love it here, and I hated being away from it when I was on Ahch-to, but I still feel like I'm observing from the outside of it all. It isn't like I don't feel welcome, there's just so much I don't understand."

Lyra considered the question carefully. She had been trying to pin down what had happened to Rey without asking too many questions about Ahch-to. "That's a normal feeling to have, but let me ask you a question. Are you letting yourself make this your home?"

Rey stared blankly ahead of her. "No," she said honestly. "I see Finn, and he's adjusted so well to all of this. If I didn't know better, I would assume he was born into it. But I look at myself and I just see all of these memories. When I wake up, I start thinking about what I need to scavenge to get by for the day. It takes me a while to realize that isn't my life anymore. I still see those hatch marks on the wall, all counting up to some nonexistent end. I thought it would get better if I learned to understand the Force, but it only left me more confused."