004 | takeoff

╔═══════════ 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑

'𝐭𝐚𝐤𝐞𝐨𝐟𝐟' ════════════╝

━━ -ˋˏ★ˎˊ- ━━

...D'QAR, ILEENIUM SYSTEM

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐁𝐋𝐀𝐂𝐊 𝐒𝐐𝐔𝐀𝐃𝐑𝐎𝐍 𝐓𝐀𝐂𝐓𝐈𝐂𝐀𝐋 𝐒𝐄𝐒𝐒𝐈𝐎𝐍 should have started fifteen minutes ago.

Lyra sat in a semicircle with the rest of Poe's pilots. Jess was at her side, looking tired and bored as she played with a thread on the edge of her sleeve. Snap Wexley, Poe's second in command, was chatting quietly with Karé Kun. Snap was more subdued than usual.  He kept glancing Lyra's way like she might set something on fire.

Next to them, L'ulo Lampar stood in quiet solitude. The Duros was soft-spoken, but he was more battle-hardened than any of them and had flown in the original rebellion.  L'ulo was kind, and most of all-wise. He had been part of the Green Squadron before Poe recruited him.

Lyra hated to admit it, but she stood by Poe's judgment on the selection of the people before her. Would she have fit in if he originally asked her to join? Probably not. Every single person there had one thing in common: they were friends of Poe Dameron. Trusted friends.

They were all still waiting for the Commander himself to show up. He wasn't off to a good start this morning.

"How have you been, L'ulo?" Lyra asked, catching his attention. 

L'ulo stopped staring blankly and turned his attention to her with a small smile. "Good as I can be. I haven't seen you around much," he remarked thoughtfully. "The General always has you heading off-world."

L'ulo had been aboard Leia's flagship when Lyra defected from the First Order. He had known her for so long, and he always made a point of checking in on her. Guiltily, she realized how long it had been since she had talked to him.

"I've also been out training pilots whenever I'm not out on missions."

This caught Karé's attention. "You're crazy for taking over for Poe, Endellion. I don't know if I've got the patience to deal with those bantha-brains," she wrinkled her nose, like she hated even imagining it.

Snap laughed and poked her in the rib. "No, you definitely don't."

Karé swatted her boyfriend on the arm, but Lyra could see her smirk. Lyra didn't spend enough time around Karé to know her very well past her sense of humor. She was far less wary than Snap, who still looked like he was uncomfortable being in the same room as Lyra.