prologue

You didn't know much about skin-related injuries, more specifically burns, even though your father was a well-known dermatologist. But you could recognize a three-degree burn when you see one, so when you saw a kid about your age hissing in pain on your way home, you couldn't help but seek help.

At first, you weren't sure if they were actual burns. You asked your mother if it was something to worried about and she told you not to worry, as always, thinking about other things. But the curiosity still buzzed in you, like the urge to scratch your back or something like that. Just before you would split ways by walking a different street way, you run towards the boy, who had peculiar white hair with hints of red here and there.

"Are you hurt?" You said, clutching on to his thin shirt and he jumped in surprise. But he couldn't speak, it was like he was afraid. His eyes yelled for help, even you could notice that, so you were more than sure he was in danger.

"(y/n) leave the boy alone! I'm sure she has somewhere to be"

You huffed at your mother in persistence, she knew you were a stubborn girl so her efforts were only in vain. Your eyes returned to the boy, who still held back his words. Your hands grabs his arms softly and inspected them. Of course, you gasped because they were worse than you had anticipated.

Luckily, your mother had rushed just in time to see it with her own eyes, and then she realized how serious his marks were. "Oh god, please come with us so we take care of these, they look serious, boy" You heard her plead and he stood still like he was paralyzed. It frustrated you, the way he wasn't able to form not even a 'yes' or 'please'.

"We don't bite" You smiled and his attention went back to you. He finally nodded and that's when the three of you were now on their way to your home. The trip was unbelievably quiet, but what could you expect, the boy looked like he's been through some tough stuff.

And here you were, next to your father's side, who you so much admired, with his medical equipment checking the boy. Your mother had prepared some snacks because he also looked fairly hungry.

"Can you tell us how you got those?"

"(y/n) he doesn't look comfortable enough to talk, let him be" your dad answered as he treated him and wrapped bandages around him. Your father was always right, you should've known better than to ask him such a dense question. Nonetheless, it looked like he was in a trance as if he wasn't here.

After an hour or two, the boy had managed to eat about a quarter of the food offered to him. You remained by his side at all times, but you knew he acted like you didn't exist, so you stayed just as quiet.

"It's time.."

His voice was weak and low at best. Your heart stopped hearing him, and your parents who were on the other side of the living room noticed as well.

"It's time I go home.. thank you"

He got up from his seat in the furniture and your eyes following him as he made his way to the door. "Do you know the way there?" I blurted out and turned his head quickly. He nodded back and walked out shortly after that.