New Year's Special (Archenemies Spoilers)

*Takes Place before Supernova*

Nova was nervous. It was a couple of days before New Year's Day, and there was a Renegades Gala going on. It had only been a month or so after Adrian had tried to kiss her at the carnival, and since then, the two hadn't really talked about it, and the two were a little awkward, but it had mostly gone back to normal.

And Nova still had to follow through with her mission.

But she was having second thoughts about it. Did Adrian really deserve this? Did the Renegades really deserve this?

But every time those thoughts came around, she remembered how the Renegades failed her when she needed them the most, and her parents paid the price for it.

It certainly didn't hep that Adrian had managed to crawl his way into Nova's heart, and she knew she was starting to catch feelings for the artist.

As Nova was sitting at the table of her abandoned house, Leroy came in.

"Nova? Is something bothering you?" He asked.

Nova loved Leroy. He was like a father to her, since her own had died. But Nova wasn't about to tell him that she wasn't sure she could go through with her mission.

"No," Nova replied. She paused. "Where were you?"

Leroy sat down across from Nova. "I was visiting the grave of a friend," He said.

"But you aren't supposed to go out," Nova said. "Because you're wanted."

"I disguised myself. Plus, the friend is worth getting caught for."

Nova knew there was more to Leroy's story. He wouldn't risk getting caught for any old friend, much less a dead one.

Leroy looked at Nova.

"Come on, Nova. Out with it. I know you well enough to know that something is bothering you." Leroy said.

"I'm fine. Seriously," Nova argued.

She knew Leroy didn't want to give up, but he didn't ask again.

-----------------------------------------------------------

As Nova laid down to sleep that night, she thought about her parents. Her loving, amazing parents.

And then she thought about how the renegades failed her. Rage and sadness boiled over in her heart, filling her whole being with pain.

It didn't matter that Adrian was good. None of that mattered. The Renegades Council needed to feel the same pain she felt.

----------------------------------------------------

The next day, everyone in the building was talking about the gala tomorrow. It was all Nova heard about throughout the day.

People were talking about dates, outfits, make-up tips, and how to slow dance. Nova wanted people to shut up about it.

As she sat in the lunchroom, she saw Adrian heading towards her.

"Nova, you barely talked to the teams this morning," He said, sitting across from her.

"I'm just not feeling talkative today," She grumbled in between bites of her salad.

Adrian began eating a granola bar.

"Any plans for tomorrow? You're attending the gala, aren't you?"

Considering that the anarchists hadn't planned to sabotage the gala, Nova hadn't even thought abut going.