Engagements (Nodrian, Osby, Small Spoilers)

Ruby sat on her couch, watching Jade and Sterling play Mario kart.

After a while, the doorbell rang.

"Ruby, dear, can you get that?" Mrs. Tucker asked from the master bedroom, where Ruby's parents were trying to figure out how to remove a grape soda stain from the carpet.

Ruby opened the door and saw Nova.

"Oh, Nova. This is a surprise," She said.

"I know that you and Oscar haven't been dating for long, but I need advice."

"Oh?" Ruby asked.

"I think Adrian is going to propose," Nova said.

"Let's go to my room," Ruby said, "it's a little more private in there."

The two girls sat on Ruby's bed.

"You think he's going to propose?"

"I was packing Thursday night since we're moving into the apartment this weekend, and I emptied his drawers and found a box. It had a silver diamond ring in it and engraved inside it said "Insomnia". It didn't exactly take a rocket scientist. I think he's going to pop the question on Sunday when we have our first dinner in the apartment."

"But what is the problem?"

"I love Adrian, but I keep wondering. Maybe getting married at twenty is too young. Are we ready yet? What if I'm expecting something and it ends up not happening? What if we fight, like, all the time? So much uncertainty."

Ruby was almost envious of nova. She's been waiting months for Oscar to ask her to marry him. They both knew they were meant to be so why were they wasting time? And in Ruby's eyes, it was the same way for Nova and Adrian.

"Well, Nova, do you love Adrian?"

"Yes, of course I do!" Nova exclaimed.

"Well, that right there is half the battle."

"You don't get it, Ruby. Your parents are happily married. Mine died when I was six. I don't even know what a happy marriage looks like," Nova said. Ruby studied her friend. She was clearly in distress.

"Nova, it's ok. Alright? Your feelings are completely valid." Ruby said, reaching out to pat the other girl's shoulder.

"Look, my parents fought sometimes. Especially when money was tight or when they voted for a different celebrity for the People's Choice Awards. What set them apart from other couples, though, it that one of them always apologized. If my mom was wrong, she'd accept it, same with my dad. And that, Nova, is ok. Fighting is ok. In fact, some might argue that it's necessary and healthy for a relationship. No one gets along 24/7. You love Adrian. I can tell. He can, too. And if you really don't believe you're ready, just tell Adrian when he asks you. Tell him that you don't think you're ready but willing to revisit the question at a later date."

"What if he gets upset? Or mad?"

"He may get upset. But he's a big boy and he'll get over it. And he won't get mad. He can never be mad at you. I mean, you were his worst enemy and even then he still loved you and he's forgiven you. He won't get mad that you feel like you aren't ready."

Nova still looked unsure.

"Nova, I know you're unsure, and that's normal. But don't overthink it to the point that you feel you are making the wrong decision. Make sure you're ready, but if you decide you're ready, than that's all you need. The rest will fall into place. You and Adrian make a great team, and everyone on the team has been rooting for you guys since the very beginning. I'm confident that you and Adrian will have a happy marriage and successful lives. Maybe a few children, too."