You Have to Heal

This is part 2 of Ask Her Out, You Useless Lesbian. There will be a final part coming, too, at a later date.

No Spoilers

Nova/Danna

This one is not like Part 1. This one is heavy and sad. This is Nova's point of view.

TW: Death of a spouse

-----------------------------------------------------------

Nova looked at the picture of a smiling Adrian Everhart.

"Quit mocking me," She said, crossing her arms.

It had been weeks since she and Danna kissed, and neither one of them has done anything about it. They haven't even talked about it.

Nova knew she should, but she was so nervous. After Adrian died, she felt like being with Danna would be a betrayal to him. She kept hoping Danna would make the first, er, second move. Because then, it wouldn't seem like she was betraying Adrian, she was just taking an opportunity.

But, sweet rot, she missed him so much. She wondered if maybe this wasn't about Adrian at all. Perhaps she was the one who couldn't move forward. Maybe she was using Adrian as an excuse not to get close to someone else.

Nova laid down on the couch and could almost hear Adrian's voice.

She wiped away a tear.

He was so sweet. Nova knew she wanted to spend her whole life with him. But then he had to go and die. And he left her. With a hole in her heart. With an ache, a grief that refused to go away.

*This is about to get real cliché*

"Did anyone ever tell you you're a bad sapphic?" A voice said. Nova bolted upright.

She was facing her late husband.

*Told ya*

"Adrian? What... How..."

"Relax, I'm a figment of your imagination," Adrian said. "A product of your subconscious. The real Adrian is in paradise. Although, he keeps drawing portraits of you. It's kinda creepy."

How did her subconscious know this?

"Why..."

"I'm worried about you, Nova." Adrian said. "You need to move on. I've been dead for about a year and a half by now."

"It's only been a year!" Nova argued.

"No, dear. It's been a year and a half. And grieving is healthy, my love. But you need to let other people in. Isolating yourself is only going to make it worse."

"It's hard," Nova replied, holding in a sob.

"I know. But you need to talk to Danna. She may be part of the solution. I love you, Nova. I love you more than anything in this world. You were everything to me. But I'm gone. Nothing can change that. But I'd like to make sure you're taken care of. And I know you can take care of yourself, but you're refusing to. Danna, Ruby and Oscar will help. And Danna likes you, Nova. She might be the one to fix the hole in your heart. Talk to her. Let her in. Stop being bad at love."

Nova sighed. She supposed Adrian was right. She needed to at least talk to Danna and get an idea of what's going on between them.

"Are you... Are you really my imagination?" Nova asked.

The figure sighed.

"No. I'm not. But I thought if I told you that, it'd be easier to let me go. Look, Nova. I want to go. I want to join my mom. But I won't leave until I know you're better. So please. I didn't send Danna to you that day for nothing. Let her in so I can go. I want to see my mom. And say hi to your parents." Adrian said.

Nova reached out to caress his cheek.

And when her hand went through him, she dropped it. She stared at the hand like it was foreign to her.

"Why did you leave?" She asked, starting to cry.

"I didn't want to," He replied. "But... Things happen."

"You should... You should have waited for backup! Because if you had, you'd still be here with me. And I wouldn't.... I wouldn't hurt so much." She said, tears flowing down her face. Her eyes glistened like diamonds.

Her throat was tight, making her voice raspy. Her head was tilted downward, her tears landing on her jeans. The tears never ceased, racing down her face like little race cars.

"Nova, I didn't want any of this. And if I had a choice, I'd still be with you. But I'm not. And what's done is done. You have to heal. You have to bring Ruby and Oscar and Danna closer to you. You need the support."

Nova laid back down, the tears still flowing. It was almost like her eyes were rain clouds, producing more and more water.

Adrian sat quietly, unsure of what to say to make it better.

"Before I forget," Nova started. "Evie said she's going to bring you back to life just so she can kill you again for leaving me behind."

Adrian laughed. "Sounds like her. She's definitely your sister."

The Nova smiled, her tears starting to let up.

"Nova, I'll always be with you. Maybe not physically. But you know that as long as my memories are around, I will be, too."

Nova nodded.

"I know."

"Good," He said. "There's someone at the door. I gotta go. But answer it, ok?"

"Ok," Nova said.

Adrian left in a poof. Nova found herself reaching out for him.

But the doorbell rang.

Nova wiped her eyes and opened the door. She was facing Danna.

--------------------------------------------------------

Ok, I gotta stop here because I am crying. This is not a duo. It has turned into a trilogy. Part three will come at some point.

Seriously guys, I made myself cry.

It also doesn't help that I'm listening to my sad playlist on Spotify...

Perhaps that was my first problem.

I do things like this. I create problems for myself. I am my own problem.

Anyway, I don't know when Part Three will come out. This just happened to be a situation where I had a small pocket of time and felt inspired at the same time.

I will try to get part three up soon. I don't want to leave this open-ended for too long.

Until then,

Keep reading!