Friends (Grade School Osby Rewrite)

Elementary School Osby Rewrite

So I was really disappointed the first time I wrote Grade School Osby and I decided to go back and redo it. I read the old one to see if I could keep the same concept, but I really don't like it, so I think this one will be completely different. I will keep the old one up so you can compare or in case you really did like it (no judgment).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ruby got to school early and sat in her usual seat. She didn't have many friends, but her favorite friend, Danna, was absent today. Her dad had called Ruby's mom and said she was sick, so he'd miss carpool.

Ruby hated the days that Danna was absent. Danna was the only person in the school Ruby hung out with. Ruby just didn't really click with the other girls. They all talked about boys and dolls and that new TV show about fairies. Ruby didn't like those things. She preferred pretend dueling and shows about superheroes. She really liked the old spiderman movies and TV shows from the 2000s. She knows they're old, but she still likes them.

The teacher started class and introduced a new kid.

Ruby's face lit up when she saw that he was wearing a Spiderman shirt.

"Hey, everybody. We have a new student who just moved here. Can you tell us your name?"

"I'm Oscar Silva," The kid said quietly.

"What's your favorite subject?"

"Um, science," The kid replied.

"You can sit by Ruby," The teacher said. Ruby smiled and waved.

He put his head down and walked to the desk.

They were currently reading from their books.

Oscar wasn't much of a reader, so he focused on the nice girl next to him. She moved her mouth when she read, but she didn't say the words out loud. Her hair was black and white, nothing like Oscar had ever seen before.

Ruby looked up and noticed that Oscar was staring, and he quickly turned his head to the book.

Ruby knew he was staring. She could see him in her peripheral vision.

She kept thinking that any moment, he'll look away.

So she lifted her head and looked at him.

He turned away.

It was like that all morning, Oscar, staring at her hair or her general direction, and she would look at him and he would turn away, and then a few minutes later start staring again.

At recess, she decided to get a friend's advice.

She was sitting at a swing, talking to one of her friends, Maria, one she didn't really hang out with much unless Danna was gone, when she took up the subject of Oscar. She told Maria about how Oscar was acting this morning.

"Well, maybe he likes you," Maria said when Ruby was done talking.

"Likes me? No boy has ever liked me before."

"Oh, it's so romantic! Like Hans Solo and Princess Leia!"

"Who said anything about romance?" Ruby asked.

"I ship it!" Maria announced.

"Ship what?" An older kid, Luna, asked, coming up to the girls (Luna, Maple, and Adrian are two years older than Ruby and Oscar, this is non-canonical, but since Nova is two years younger than Adrian, I thought it made sense).

"Ruby and Oscar! We think Oscar likes Ruby!" Maria exclaimed, a twinkle in her eyes.

"You mean that new kid? He seems kinda weird to me," Luna said.

"Why?"

"I don't know. He just gives me that vibe," Luna replied.

She spotted a friend of hers.

"Adrian! Wait up! I want to play kickball, too!"

She turned to Maria and Ruby. "I'll see you later!" She said, running off.

"You should go talk to Oscar," Maria said.

"About the staring?"

"Yeah. Then we can find out if he likes you. I can go with you, if you want," Maria said.

Ruby nodded.

She and Maria found Oscar, standing next to a tree.

"Yeah, tree. I don't have any friends yet," He said, seemingly talking to the tree. "I just moved here. Will you be my friend?"

The tree obviously did not respond.

He sighed. "Yeah, most kids are saying no, too."

"Oscar?" Ruby asked.

He turned to them.

"I wasn't talking to that tree," He lied.

"Ruby, go on," Maria said, nudging Ruby's arm.

"Oscar, you were staring at me in class today. I want to know why," Ruby said.

"Oh. Well, I just thought you were really cool. I wanted to ask about your hair," Oscar said.

"My grandma helps me dye it," Ruby replied, smiling. "It's ok, Oscar. We know you don't have a lot of friends yet. So Maria and I will be your friends. And my other friend, Danna, who's absent today, will be your friend, too."

Maria nodded her head vigorously.

"I love having new friends!" She exclaimed.

"You wanna play with us? I'm sure we can find a soccer ball to kick around somewhere around here." Ruby said.

Oscar looked down at his legs.

"I have a bone disease." He said

"Oh," Ruby said.

"That's ok. We can play a different game," Maria said.

"Do you know how to make paper airplanes?" Ruby asked.

"Not good ones," Oscar replied.

"I'll teach you," She said, sitting down.

And together, they made paper airplanes for the whole recess period.

Which, admittedly, wasn't long.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, I'll admit, this is way different than the rewrite. I meant to make this one similar to the other, but I just kept writing and it led me here. And I love it.

At the end, with the whole friendship thing, it kind of reminded me of a Strawberry Shortcake episode (the younger readers might not get this reference), anyway, it was kind of cheesy with the whole friendship thing and definitely has Strawberry Shortcake's seal of approval.

But I loved Strawberry Shortcake when I was a kid, so I'm happy with it. I think it's much better than the other one.

Like I said, I won't take the other one down, in case any readers enjoyed it. Just because I didn't doesn't mean you don't.

I'm a little sad today because comic con in my state was rescheduled because of the coronavirus. I almost cried. Anyway, of course, Osby made me feel better and forget about it for a bit.

So thank you, Osby.

Anyway, until the next time,

Keep reading!