The Trials (Part 2, No Spoilers)

My parents are going through a rough time, so naturally, writing is my way of coping.

As per usual, this chapter is similar to chapter fourteen in Renegades. All characters belong to Marissa Meyer, yadda yadda, you guys get it.

Hope you guys enjoy!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Nova Artino never backs down from a challenge, and neither does Insomnia, apparently.

Nova especially had a bone to pick with Gargoyle. He destroyed Honey's hives and felt no remorse. In fact, he enjoyed it.

Gargoyle looked so arrogant, flexing his muscles and he moved.

The crowd was screaming, and Nova swore she heard some people crying. Perhaps they care, or perhaps they're so glad that something was finally happening in their boring lives.

But this people didn't know Nova. Nova could take care of herself.

Gargoyle was an ass, and everyone, even non-renegades knew it.

Nova was very happy that she was going to be able to take his ego down a few notches.

Blacklight began speaking.

"Do the contestants understand their objectives?"

Nova rose her hand. "Can I have a weapon?" She asked, her voice making an echo in the room.

The audience turned quiet.
"We weren't allowed to bring non-prodigy Weaponry with us today, but as my claim of being skilled with a multitude of weaponry is part of what's being challenged, it seems fair that I have something to defend myself with."

Blacklight looked at the council.

Gargoyle, as her opponent, you may choose to accept or deny this request." Blacklight said.

Gargoyle open his arms, that stupid smirk still on his face.

"Why not? It ain't ginna make a difference."

From Soundwave's section, Lightsaber corrected him "It isn't going to make a difference, Trevor." (Trevor is Gargoyle's real name, in case you didn't know).

At this, the audience laughed. Gargoyle snarled at her.

'What do you want?" Frostbite shouted, so Nova could hear. "I'll make it myself."

Nova stretched and said "A knife."

Frostbite nearly laughed. "That's it?"

"That's it." Nova replied.

She made the knife and with a mocking chuckle, threw it at Nova, who caught it gracefully.

"That was a poor choice," Frostbite said, taking her seat. "It won't even penetrate his skin."

"Maybe it won't need to," A voice from the audience said. It was so meek that Nova couldn't locate the source.

Nova just smiled back as she lazily twirled the blade between her fingers.

Gargoyle was scary, there was no denying it. He was showing off at this point, changing his skin from rock to muscle, back and forth.

The horn's sound cut through the silence of the auditorium as the audience and council settled in to watch.

(I'm not going to rewrite that because its long so...)

The battle was exciting and the audience was stunned at Nova's win.

Some people cheered while others just sat there, jaws open in shock.

Before she could make it to Adrian's table, two renegades tried to stop her.

Nova was thinking of ways to defend herself when Adrian spoke.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa!" He exclaimed. "They're with me—us. They're on your team."

The Red Assassin sat up.

"Pleased to meet you," Smokescreen said weakly.

"I think we'll get along just fine," The Red Assassin said.

"See? They're fine. You're fine. Everybody's fine." Adrian said.

Soundwave got up.

"Gargoyle is not fine." Smokescreen said.

"Not concerned about Gargoyle," Adrian dismissed.

He uncapped his marker and bent down so he was level with her eyes. He began drawing something over her heart. She flinched and wonder if he noticed how fast her heart was beating.

Maple stood up, too, following Soundwave.

Adrian finished his drawing. It was the Renegade logo.

Adrian held out his hand, and Nova took it, letting Adrian hoist her up.

"Wait," Soundwave snapped.

Nova was standing now.

"Doesn't she get to pick?' Maple asked.

Adrian looked to Blacklight, who nodded.

"So, who'll it be?" Soundwave asked, flipping his shaggy hair.

(For some reason I'm modeling Soundwave after my boyfriend. I don't know why and it's most certainly a bad idea)

To Nova, the decision seemed obvious.

On Adrian's team, she could get insider information because his dads are the on the council.

"Sketch's team," Nova stated.

Soundwave tried to hide his disappointment. Maple just cocked his head.

"She's choosing Sketch, right?"

"...Yes..." The Red Assassin said.

"Well, she was looking at Jessie," Maple said (Jessie is Soundwave's real name).

"Man, he is as stupid as they say," Nova whispered so only Adrian could hear her. He laughed.

Adrian smiled at Nova.

"Welcome to the Renegades."

----------------------------------------------------

I know it's short but chapter fourteen consists mostly of the battle scene, and since I didn't want to write all that, it was pretty short. If you want to read the battle scene, pages are 181 to 186.

Get ready for a soundwave centered chapter next!