My Heart Will Go On: Part One

Something isn't right about this day. As soon as you woke up, you knew something felt off. You couldn't quite place your nose on it, and that is what bugged the shit out of you. Maybe it's because you're now six months pregnant, or maybe it's something entirely different, but you have to figure it out before you let it ruin your life. It's like you know something is wrong, you have that gut feeling, but nothing is wrong at all.

The person who needs all your focus and attention is your dad because he is still reeling from Rufus' death. He knows what he almost did to you, but you forgave him for that almost immediately. It wasn't him, and everyone knows that. That doesn't stop him from beating himself up and drinking himself to death.

You, Sam, and Dean don't know what to say to him because really, what is there to say? The brothers stand in the doorway that separates the kitchen and the living room, but you sit at your dad's desk with him. He won't even look at you, and whenever you tried to say something, he would just clear his throat and drink some more. He finishes one bottle and moves onto the next.

"Dad—"

"I don't want to hear it," he cuts you off and takes a long swig of the alcohol bottle. He motions to the brothers with a shake of his head and looks at them. "You two just gonna stand there like the ugly girl at the prom, or you gonna pitch in? This so-called Eve, mother of whatever, ain't gonna gank herself. What's wrong with you two?"

"Dad, they only want to help," you sigh.

"Bobby, you haven't slept in days," Sam notes.

"I sleep. What are you, my wife now?"

"I'm just saying that, you know, taking five might be a good thing," Dean shrugs.

"For whom?"

"I did it, and you can do it," you say.

"You're pregnant, and I'm fine."

"Look, Bobby, it was tough for all of us, seeing Rufus go like that."

"You think this—this ain't about Rufus!"

"Dad, he was more than a poker buddy, and you know it," you say.

"You know when I knew Rufus was done for? The day I met him. The only question was, who first—him or me? Now, you want to stand there and therapize, or you want to get me some coffee?" he asks with a pause. "Make it Irish."

You get up with a roll of your eyes and join the brothers in the kitchen so you three can talk somewhat privately.

"Well, he's doing fantastic," Dean scoffs.

"Yeah, this isn't about Rufus at all."

"Well, what do you want to do? I mean, we can't just sit here and watch him shit out his liver," you state.

"Well, we could get him out of the house. There's a job."

"Really? What've you got?" Dean asks.

Sam pulls out a newspaper from his back pocket and opens it to show you two what he's got.

"Chester, Pennsylvania. Three people got kicked off in the last week, all freaky. Last guy got karate-chopped by his garage door, and these are all blood relatives."

"So, family curse?" you ask.

"Could be."

"Hey, grumpy—" Dean turns and yells at your dad, but jumps when he realizes that he's standing right behind him. "You, uh...?"

"I don't want to do crap. Leave me alone. Just, get out of my house, all three of you. You're driving me nuts."

"Dad."