2.4 Clarity of the Insincere

"Ah I see...", Captain Levi said once Squad Leader Hanji filled him up on the details about numerous witnesses contesting to the fact that I actively protected the titan shifters. 

A chill ran down my spine when the barely-lit room casted shadows over the Captain's face as he walked closer towards my area. All the other squad leaders seemed to have tensed up as he approached me and I have to admit, my whole body went on high alert as well.

Still, I tried to keep my composure. I have to. 

I gulped once more when he subtly glanced my way before sitting himself on the chair in front of me, hearing the eerie sound of it scraping against the floor. Everything is set up similarly to how interrogations are, except almost every notable officer in the Survey Corps is here to witness them about to batter my face. 

I flinched and closed my eyes the moment I saw Captain Levi swing his fist at me. Only to realize that I prepared for an impact that never came. 

Slowly opening my eyes, I catch him sigh before turning his back at me. "This is pathetic"

 I look at him with utter confusion as he's now facing Commander Erwin and the others. I noticed Hanji subtly nodding her head at Levi, as if to confirm something. What's going on? Isn't Levi supposed to beat the information out of me now? Shouldn't I be punished and sent to the military police? What is the ordeal?

I'm seen as a traitor, why isn't anyone swinging their fist at me?

"How despicable. Don't tell me you're all turning like those idiots in the military police, running around and clucking like scared chickens", his cold eyes surveyed everyone in the room and that's when I noticed that even Tom is also here. 

When our eyes met, he gave me a reassuring look and mouthed, 'its going to be alright'.

Which confused me even more. However, our gazes broke when Captain Levi looked at me once again, "And like it or not, the female brat is still under my wing as a member of my squad so if there's anything you scared shits wanna do to her, you'll have to consult me first" 

My lips parted at his words to let out a soft gasp. Did I hear that correctly? Captain Levi is actually defending me...

With his words, the Commander nodded his head in agreement. 

"Then Levi, based on your observations during your time with Cadet Armsel, did she exhibit any troublesome signs or suspicious behavior?" Commander Erwin asked as he stepped forward yet I can't help but stare at his amputated arm. 

Levi turns to him before sighing to himself. "Other than her disturbing sleeping habits? Nothing noteworthy. The kid's just like that Jaeger, driven by emotion, and I can't say I blame them for it", he trails off a little. "Given our circumstances"

"Point is, I don't think her loyalty is the issue here -its her emotions. It doesn't take a genius to realize that she's attached to the shifters to some degree. Looking at the cadets, its obvious that some of them share the same sentiments. However, her condition is a bit troublesome. If things are like what Hange explained, then I can only assume that she most likely has romantic feelings towards one of them", he explained and I had to look away to conceal a blush that crawled over my face.

"What do you propose then?", asked one of the squad leaders.

Slowly, all our eyes went to Commander Erwin whose lips curled up to a subtle smile.

***********

So um yeah, I got jailed.

It's only for a few days for customary measure. Most of the other members of the Survey Corps were displeased over just letting me go so stupid Captain Levi suggested that I go to jail. Its not really an actual jail since the Corps still doesnt want to hand me over to the military police. Instead, I'm just chilling inside a very small basement with guards at the front door. When a couple of days were done with, I finally got to step outside and stretch a little.