Chapter 44: Brick by Brick

"Damn it! Are we just going to wait here until this tower falls and we get eaten alive?!" Connie shouted, slumping back to the floor, looking hopeless.

He glares at the ground. "We're just going to die here without even being able to finish our mission"

I didn't dare to look over the edge of the tower. I don't want to look and see nothing but a cluster of them scraping the walls, trying to get us inside their stomachs. The tower is close to toppling over, the infrastructure is getting less and less likely to be our safe haven. It's basically made of glass now. All it needs is a little push and it'll fall down like a house of cards.

I did, however, stand beside Ymir and Krista as they gazed at it. I depended on their reactions to know how bad the casualties are.

"I... want to keep fighting too" Krista mutters, looking over the edge with an expression that means trouble.

There's a glint in her eyes. A glint that's all too familiar.

I got startled. "What are you talking about Krista?" I gulp and then she turns to me. Her eyes locking themselves with mine.

"I want to do what you did. To fight. To not just give up and let yourself get backed up into a corner. " I don't like the sound of that and neither does Ymir. We both look at Krista as if she's crazy and suicidal. This is starting to become another piece of evidence that backs up the fact that I'm contagious.

I don't like it one bit!

"If only I have some weapon, then I'll do it and die alongside them" She continues. Is she serious? Is this really Krista or an impersonator?

I need to stop her somehow from thinking like this. If I didn't know any better then I'd say that the reason why I'm still alive with that kind of mentality is out of sheer luck!

"Krista.... you're still saying things like that?" Ymir said, looking at Krista with a disapproving glance, while I look at them at confusion. So she's been like this lately? How come I don't know this?

"Don't you dare use their deaths" Ymir narrows her eyes at her. "They didn't die so you'd have an excuse to get yourself killed"

" Don't pretend on trying to follow her foot steps " Ymir gestures to me. "We both know that's bullshit"

Krista's eyes noticeably widened. Like a deer caught on headlights. She looked at Ymir with a terrified expression, then her eyes went to the rest of us, searching our faces for judgement. She's afraid. Is she afraid of the titans? or the fact that she just got caught? I can't believe it.

She refuses to look me in the eyes.

How come I didn't notice before? Those selfless acts of kindness were merely suicidal attempts?! but are they really? Can I really trust what Ymir is saying right now? I know that she's a bitch but is she a lying bitch?

My eyes lands on Krista's clenched fist, trembling as she hides it behind her ripped skirt.

She stammers. "N-no that's....that's not what I-" Ymir cuts her off, clicking her tongue.

They argued like that in front of all of us. "You're not like Connie, Riza and the Scouts! They don't want to die but you don't even care"

"Krista, all you want to do is die in a way that makes you seem like a hero"

Should I step in and intervene? I am the closest to the two of them, but deep inside me, something's telling me to let this argument happen. This is what we all needed; the truth. Is this really the reason why Krista joined the Survey Corps? Heck, if I've known that, I wouldn't have welcomed her here with open arms.