2.5 A Fool's Dream

The air was quiet and cold as it brushes past my cheeks. Beside me, I can  hear the soft snoring coming from Mikasa as she's still deep in sleep. I turn to look at the window to see the sun already awake as a couple birds flies past the glass. Despite the peaceful morning that I woke up to, my mind continues to be troubled as my first thoughts of the day started to drift away.

How is he? Is he awake already? Has he eaten breakfast yet? 

If only I was with him, I would've known the answers already. 

Walking down the stairs, I hear the soft sound of utensils and glass getting placed on the table. Looks like someone is awake already despite how early it is. 

"Couldn't sleep?", I asked as soon as Eren's eyes turned towards me. 

He sighs before massaging his temple. "Yeah...", he sits on one of the chairs with a cup on hand. "I've been having bad dreams recently".

I raised my eyebrow. "Any headaches?"

"A lot actually"

Sitting in front of him, I scanned his entire appearance. He looks absolutely dreadful. Although I must say that the bed hair is giving his appearance a much needed edge. It suits him. 

"About what you did back there... do you remember how you -umm..", I trailed off. 

He shakes his head before resting it on his palm. " All I know is that I was angry..I- I was just as angry as how I was back when mom d-..died. Then all of the sudden, I felt this weird tingling electricity coursing through my veins. I never felt that way before"

I felt it too -but why?

Why was I able to feel the power of the coordinate? That very moment, I felt that sudden flow. As if I was electrocuted by the will of a higher power. Still, I can't believe it. This man sitting in front of me, one of my closest friends since childhood, has the ability of the- 

"Riza!", Eren shouts as he stands up to rush to my side. "What's wrong?!" 

I groaned. Screw this mind-splitting headache! 

"Do you want some water? Tea? A pillow!"

Poor Eren panics as he suddenly stands to rush up the stairs but I grabbed his shirt as quickly as I could with one hand still holding my head. 

I was starting to sweat. "I- I'm fine", I cleared my throat. "Yeah, I'll be fine. D-don't worry about me, Jaeger"

He looks at me with uncertainty but he agrees to hush down anyway. I gave him a reassuring smile as soon as I felt the pain slowly fade. Damn it, the pain was so intense that I forgot what I was going to say. 

Silence blankets over the two of us as I grab myself a cup of water to relieve my sudden thirst. I glanced back at Eren to see him looking conflicted while spacing out. He borderline looks constipated. 

"Eren, just go to the bathroom already. Nothing good comes with holding it in", I joked. Trying to make the atmosphere feel lighter. 

"N-no, I..", he takes a deep breath in. "I'm good" 

I raised an eyebrow at him while scanning his appearance. "Yeah right", I said sarcastically. "You're pale as hell"

He quiets down and starts to avoid my gaze. 

"I still can't understand how you're so laid back after what happened"

I blinked. 

Soon enough, we were sitting across each other. Eye to eye. As tension builds between the two of us.