Chapter 14: Fight

I recovered and I stopped grieving. I moved on like I promised myself I would.

So I lifted myself up, even if it feels like the world was baring down on me. My mind was in total pandemonium as I followed everyone else in an undead manner. We transferred to a much higher place to ensure that the titans won't be able to reach us. Armin left after I grieved Eren's death, but now he returned with a very unsettling news, his face was filled with so much grim, you could hardly recognize his old self.

Heck, I can barely remember anything at all. I can't think straight. My mind refuses to process this information as my eyes were covered with shock. I heard the sound of footsteps and shifting roof tiles near me, only to find Armin standing before me.

"Riza, I-I found Hannah and Franz"Armin said. I stood up, but not abruptly, it was like something was forcing me to stand up.

And that something, was responsibility and Kelvin's gaze that's currently burning a hole through me.

"Where are they?"I asked, in a whispering tone. Armin looked at me with sadness and then avoided my gaze, lowering his head.

"South-east of here, near the old bar. Hannah is okay, but Franz...Franz is gone"He said, slumping down a brick wall. I nodded at him and gestured towards Kelvin to follow me. We ventured again, risking our lives for another.

This is what a soldier does right? Sacrifice their lives for the sake of their kin? This is the life I signed up for, I should accept it and keep pushing forward.

Houses and more destroyed houses. It was a good thing we got to wander around Trost before this devastation, or else we could've easily gotten lost because everything looked the same. 

"Be careful Kelvin, there might be abnormals"I warned. He kept a steady pace behind me as I looked from left to right. A titan appeared before us, but I didn't stop. I anchored my wire by it's neck and then slashed it's nape, not bothering to look if it was dead. My blades were dull when I checked, I replaced them with a new pair, throwing away the now useless material.

"Are you alright?"Kelvin asked beside me. I nodded quickly and continued. His eyed continued to analyze me, and I was expecting him to press on the topic but he didn't because he knew better.

I was pissed and angry at this world. I always have been, it always was unfair. I only got a glance of peace for a brief moment, then all the sudden it gets snatched out of my hands. Life loves to tease us giving us a taste of happiness just before it gets snatched out of our hands.

Like their lives.

I was there, I was always there yet I couldn't do something. I'm always too young or too weak to stop death knocking on their door. I thought that after I train, I would be able to be the person I've always needed to be.

But I was wrong and the opposite happened. Instead of being able to stop it, I caused it. I have only dragged in more casualties wherever I go. Is it because of nature and coincidence? Or is it because of me?

We made it to the bar, but there were no sign of them, it's like we're chasing after a ghost or something. I looked around to see puddles of blood from where I stand, I look over at Kelvin and he nodded at me, placing his gaze back on the severed leg in the middle of the bloody mess.

"Looks like they got eaten before we came"I concluded, trying as hard as I can to not stare at the sight. I hesitantly turned my back on it and I sighed. We headed back, there was nothing for us to see here.

"Pathetic"I spat, keeping an eye out for sudden guests. If only I didn't make us split up, then maybe it would have ended differently. It's all my fault.