Chapter 39: The Soldier and The Warrior

I have a song for this chapter! For a better experience, listen to "Bubbly by Colbie Calliat"

-----------------♡------------------

Watching the snow slowly fall from the pale white sky. Catching snow flakes with my thickly gloved hand, I took a long look around me. The Training Corps has never been this quiet.

I breathed in, feeling cold air fill my lungs. I breathed out, seeing my breath as puffs of air. Every move I make, the roof would shift on my weight and make small creaking sounds. I can see the mountains from this height, I can see the nearly white forest and the once grassy grounds, now coated with snow, but what I really want to see right now is the  sunrise through that giant wall.

"You surely did take your time. You're missing out on a lot right now" I said, hearing the roof shift. A smile on my face as I watch him struggle to climb it. He places his hand in a wrong way, making his grip loosen. At this time of the year, everything is slippery with ice and snow.

"Woah!" He said, laughing timidly as he try to regain his composure. He looks like a child, his nose is red on the tip, cheeks flustered and puffy from the cold atmosphere.

But never and I mean NEVER will I let these little things slip out of my mouth. It'll be my little secret that I actually notice all of it, from all his imperfections to his cute habits.

I laughed, still watching him struggle to climb back up again. "Here, let me help you"

I offered my hand and he gladly took it. Did the cold air just disappear, or is it just me?

A rush of electricity and a weird giddy feeling traveled from our clasped hands to the rest of my body. I had the sudden urge to do something ridiculous but I can't put my finger on it. I, of course, didn't let him know about it.

I hoisted him up and he placed himself on the roof, dramatically laying on top of the snow to show how tired he is from doing that. Then his eyes traveled to me.

"Sorry, I got held up again" he sighed, taking a comfortable spot next to me.

I shook my head, clicking my tongue. Based on his expression, I already know what happened.

" Reiner again? Seriously?" I asked, crossing my arms. An emotion flashed across his eye and I immediately knew that I was dead on.

Oh Bertolt, you're far too transparent for your own good. That is one of the characteristics I like about you.

When you're nervous, your palms would sweat, but I won't mind.

When you're uncertain, you would stutter and start every sentence with "umm"

When you're scared or helpless, your voice would break and emotions would take charge of your eyes.

When you're uneasy, you would shift uncomfortably on your spot.

And when you're happy, you have the biggest smile that would always and ALWAYS reach your eyes.

"You know him, he gets really observant and cryptic"

I rolled my eyes. Of course, this is Reiner we're talking about.

"Does he know about this though? You waking up extra early in the morning just to watch the sun with me?" I asked.

A wave of relief course through me once he shook his head. For some reason, whatever we're doing right now, I want it to be just between the two of us. This is our thing and this is how I bond with him. No interruptions. After all, he is the reason why I started doing this.