Chapter 8: Attachments

Months have passed ever since that encounter, the two of us became really good friends. His usual shy demeanor around me changed overtime. The entire 104th became great soldiers through out the time, some were even exceeding my standards

I learned a little about teamwork, I still think I'm better off solo than on a group. That way we can avoid casualties.

Certain casualties.

"Okay everyone. Today I'll separate you all into two groups. This will be an expedition task. Your goal is to go record and remain your composure throughout the expedition" The Commander said.

I was grouped with Mikasa, Thomas, Bertolt, Annie and Reiner. A group filled with quiet and mature people, looks like the commander still hates me.

I wouldn't blame him, I'd hate me too.

******

Half way on our journey, everyone is quiet. I hate this group. I wish I was on the other one, that way I can chatter without getting hushed.

Maybe I should go to their group instead, but wouldn't that be considered treachery?

"Whatever you're thinking, stop thinking it" An annoying voice that belongs to Annie said.

"Come on, Annie. You rarely talk and this is what you say, scolding me for my thoughts. Tch tch tch" I said. She sighed in annoyance.

"Seriously, why are you even here? We all know that you belong to the other group" She said, keeping her stoic face.

"I know right? I think the commander is messing with me again. Shesh, he can't move on, can't he?"I said. She ignored my remark and continued riding her horse.

In our group, Thomas is appointed as our leader while Mikasa records everything that happens during the expedition. It was easy enough, all we have to do is maintain our composure and ride a horse.

Problem is: That's boring.

"We should stop here to rest" Thomas said. Stopping in between two big boulders. We all followed and tied the reins to different branches. Mikasa and Thomas went to a corner and discussed some things, while the rest of us were eating and drinking.

"So nice weather we're having" I said, trying hard to start a conversation. They all raised their eyebrows at me and I just sighed in defeat.

"Seriously, I dont know how you guys do it"I said, crossing my arms as I let out a "huff".

"Do what?" Reiner questioned.

Well that's an interesting question.

"You know...being quiet. Whenever I'm with people, I can't help but talk and join conversations, while you guys are ZIP"I said, making hand gestures and Reiner chuckled at this.

"If you want, I can give you advice" He said jokingly and I chuckled, but my laughter died down as my ears caught something strange.

I don't know if it was just my imagination or if I really did heard sonething. It was a breaking of a branch. I looked up and searched for the cause, only to find a lizard and a bird.

"What was it, Mikasa?" I heard Thomas ask her from afar.

She heard it too.

"It was nothing" Mikasa replied, shrugging it off as her eyes still trained on the branches. Her eyes soon went to mine and we started to have an internal conversation until she finally broke eye contact.

I sighed and seated myself on one of the rocks. I drank some water and observed my surroundings.

It was hot, really hot. It was also boring as hell, I'm with a bunch of people that are giving each other the "silent treatment" I'd like to hear someone talk.