Chapter 37: Clinging To Hope

We continued to scout the whole area. Apparently, there really is no one here. We found nothing but rubble and dirt. It was almost creepy and unnerving, specially when you hear the wind whistling through broken windows. The whole time, my entire body was on high alert. Whoever did this could still be here and I don't want to be standing around like a sitting duck to wait and find out. 

"Let's head back" I voiced out, turning to my voluntary babysitter. He barely glanced at me, subtly nodding his head and then walking away with me following him. He has been like this ever since Reiner shot him a look when we crossed him almost an hour ago. Since then we would just exchange glances or send gestures. I can feel my curiosity poking me from my side in an annoying manner. 

Whatever it is that he wants to tell me is making me very anxious.

We gathered to where Connie remained frozen, his head lowered and knuckles trembling before the remainder of his house. I bit my lip in pity. I want to comfort him, but I'm not exactly the type to make someone feel good about themselves. I might only make it worse. I always make things worse. 

I looked around the area again, looking for optimism but the village is desolate and abandoned. It's like a ghost town, but with a more dreary vibe. If that's even possible.

"Connie, is there anyone here?" Reiner asked, hoping to snap him out of his daze, but my heart fell as Connie stammered, still shaken up. 

"N-no. Everyone's.....gone" He mutteres, his gaze didn't leave the dirt.

"Everyone disappeared . My family.....my-" he no longer continued his sentence, not vocally at least. I took a step forward towards him, but the sound of feet stopped the words from coming out of my mouth.

They saved him from what could have been the worst attempt of comforting someone.

"Hey, you kids found any bodies? We cant find any" Gelgar said, walking towards us, but we all shook our heads at him. One would have expected relief to be seen on his face, but only worry is present on it. He and I must be thinking the same thing. That whatever happened here isn't normal.

"We couldn't find anyone. How about you two?" Reiner placed his gaze on the two of us, making Bertolt gulp as he shook his head, his confident built no longer there. He's too controlled by Reiner. 

Here I am getting irritated again. 

"Not a soul was found" I replied for the two of us, biting the insides of my cheek.

"That's weird, how can titans come and destroy the place if there isn't anyone here?"

"Maybe they all left before we got here? That explains why there was no blood nor bodies in the village" A woman who I didn't bother getting her name, replied. I took a inconspicuous sharp intake of breath at that. Bertolt, being beside me, noticed my uneasiness.

There's no gain in thinking positive  about it. A whole village got destroyed, the citizens are missing and the wall has been breached, give me something positive about that.

"Maybe your family has evacuated. That's why they're not there" Is Ms. Optimistic taking advantage of Connie's lack of common sense? I know its rude to think like that to my friend, but its the truth. 

"Y-yeah...That might be it!" Connie said, his tone raising with hope. False hope. While Connie wasn't looking, I shot a hard glare at the woman who was giving him ideas. She caught my look and shrugged, thinking that she did the right thing. 

But SHE DIDN'T!

When you give people hope, make sure that its true, that's its very possible that the positive outcome will happen, because if that tiny thread turns out to be a figure of one's imagination, the pain is doubled.