Chapter 35: Enemies and Allies

"Are you ready?", turning around, I see myself face to face with Tom's hesitant smile. A small one appeared on my face and I gave him a brief nod.

"Are you sure you'll be okay with Stohess?" I asked, nodding my head towards the group of soldiers packing up the wagon. He gave me a sigh and he handed me a folded piece of paper. I stared at it for a moment and then I looked at him with confusion.

"Look at it as a present. You deserve it you know" his words made my smile bigger and I have the strongest urge to give him a bear hug. Apparently, I'm still suffering from my physical contact issues. I unknowingly talked about it with Tom yesterday when we got back and he is now trying to help me with it.

Keyword: trying.

"Stay safe okay?" I said, looking up to him. He just gave me a goofy smile and a thumbs up to ease my nervous state.

"Dont worry about me kid. Worry about yourself" he grinned, placing a hand on his hip.

"You talk like an old man", with my words, the two of us chuckled which slowly died down as the weight of our missions slowly came crawling at the back of our heads.

After all, today is the today. Another mission, another battle and another problem to deal with. Their mission to Stohess is far more risky than mine, which is just spending the day with my friends, playing chess and getting bored out of our minds.

While Tom gets to join Anne's recapture. He is in charge of overall battlefield assessment, which is what Daniella usually does. It's basically just standing somewhere, reporting the casualties, target status, target location and strategy to launch. It was a handful, but I know Tom can do it.

Ever since Yesterday, Tom has been very close to me and I don't mind it. He is now my guardian and advisor. I look at him as an older brother, which is not too far from reality, seeing his relationship with my sister. No one really argued with that, it is already in Daniella's will, which is the third letter.

Reading the three letters she left for us helped me cope with her passing, but my vengeful self is still running fast within me. Let me just say that I'm hungry for justice, like a wolf that hasn't been fed for days. That's why I want to be there, in Stohess. I want to see with my own eyes how Annie is captured, how she falls below Eren and taken to prison in the form of chains or broken and bruised.

I know there are certain parts of the letter where Daniella justifies their actions, but I still can't help it. My family, some of my friends and allies....they're gone.

Tom said that holding onto this feeling is bad for myself, but then again, he should practice what he preaches. He's just as enthusiastic with today's mission as I am and that glint of excitement in his eyes is evidence to my claim.

I watch his figure retreat towards the direction of the ones who will participate in the mission. I watch him chuckle with some of his members and groan as Brad nagged at his face for the hundredth time since I got here. A sad smile appeared on my face as I slowly went to Mike who was patiently waiting for me.

"All set?" I asked, masking the sadness on my face.

"Yep. How about you, finished with your goodbyes?" A hint of a curly smile on his face made me roll my eyes. I'm still not very fond of Mike ever since he sniffed me back then and he is very well aware with that fact. I have always been blunt about my discomfort.

"Caught anything that smells fishy lately?" I joked, referencing to his amazing sniffing skills. Seriously, how does he just smell the air and know what's up?

"Nothing other than the smell radiating off of your uniform" this is where I shrink before him with a red face. I was angry. Fuck, I haven't changed my clothes for 3 days now, excluding my underwear.