2.1: Tongue of a Snake

Book 2, Chapter 1: Tongue of a Snake

It felt like a few seconds or a minute flat. It was like closing your eyes for a brief moment and being out of loop with both time and space.

The last sensation I felt was the sharp stinging feel that radiated off of my whole body, like drowning in a river of boiling water as I stare back at the Colossal titan who caught me in mid air just before I die from the impact. The next event that happened after that -I don't know. All that I know is that when I woke up, I'm staring at wet walls and a giant set of teeth.

My breath got caught in my throat and I searched around in the darkness, my body covered in something similar to mucus. I should be disgusted, right? But the sudden fear for my life made me forget about all kinds of discomfort.

I stare at my hands that trembled from the experience. I'm supposed to be dead. No normal person can survive falling from that height -but then this is where I wonder if I'm even normal to begin with. It's possible that my abilities took action while I was asleep.

Still that brings us to the question -where am I? 

Everything from waist down feels numb. I can faintly see smoke -something vapor-like, somewhere near my arm and abdomen. You can faintly hear the sound of hissing and it gave me chills. Still, my body burned as if I've been placed above fire.

I try to move myself, but I cant. That slight act of lifting my hand is enough to drain all the energy that is left in my body. I was weak. I was frightened and I was cold. I shivered as the slimy liquid embraced my skin and I once again fell captive to the darkness.

Again, tick tock tick tock. It was like closing your eyes for a second and then once you've opened them -surprise! You're in an entirely different place. That's what fainting really is like.

I blinked, trying to make my eyes adjust to the sudden brightness. My mind is still buffing, loading and lagging at the same time. It was mental torture.

Tree. Wait, is this bark I'm sitting on? Where am I?

I lift my head from the branch to the people sitting across from me.

Eren? Ymir?

Almost immediately I was startled, scooting away from them and hugging my knees close to my chest. I was scared. They were -they were both asleep. Totally not dead I hope.

And -well, they've been dismembered.

They're not dead, right?

I shuffle up to my feet, but the sudden movement made me dizzy and fall back to the branch. I gripped on it, balancing myself and hoping not to fall. For a moment, dark spots filled my vision and I feel light headed. Once the feeling surpassed, I crawled my way to them.

I scan their bodies, watching the dismembered parts of it smoke as they heal. As my eyes gaze over their unconscious forms, something distracted me. It was the key, dangling from Eren's neck -the infamous solution to all the mysteries regarding the titans. The object that can give us access to information even I can't provide.

Sucking in a breath of confidence, I reach out for the key. However, I stared at my fingers instead -more specifically the tips.

I stare at it wide-eyed because frankly so, its missing.

I gasped, falling back to my butt again and almost loosing my balance. Tiny puffs of smoke rose from the cut-off areas. You can practically see the inside. I dont have fingernails and I'm freaking out.

" I never would have thought that you'd be one of us. Actually, who would've thought?" I raise my head to the tree next to us and my eyes lock with Reiner. He looks down on me with a blank expression while Im masking my emotions.