2.2 Loyalty to a Lamb

I watched the giant trees softly dance with the motion of the wind. I listened as the birds sang nature's masterpiece and I stared as their eyes peered down on the five of us, looking as if we've intruded their houses -which we probably did.

It has been hours ever since Reiner and I made the deal that sealed my temporary alliance to them. It was necessary. However, at this time, making deals with the devil's accomplice isn't exactly reassuring. I've secretly observed them while we were stranded. They kept their voices in hushed tones, not allowing me to hear a single word they're saying. It was just infuriating to me.

"How long do we still have to wait for Eren?", Ymir grumbled. She woke up sometime ago and I can hear her impatience just by listening to the irritated undertone in her voice. "I'm not sure about the rest of you, but I'm pretty sure that we're endangering our lives the longer we stay here"

I sighed. " Knowing the Survey Corps, they might as well have started their search already", I turned my head to the open field before us. We've been stranded here for a few hours now. I bet the more we're standing around and doing nothing, the Survey Corps are riding their horses in search.

Do they have any plans on escaping or what? Things will just get complicated if they see me escaping with them.

" Few more minutes, then we're leaving", Reiner shot, which silenced both Ymir and I. Few more minutes and the hard part of my plan will commence. Looking back at Eren, I can't help but think of how he's sort of my anchor right now. A remembrance of what I will leave behind once I take my first step as one of the enemy. Even in his unconscious state he's pulling me back like gravity.

You're no longer kids Rizabeth, its time to move on and take responsibility.

That's what we've been doing. Both Daniella and I, we've done nothing but take responsibility for the crimes our parents committed. I can't do anything about it now, all I have to do is follow the path paved before me, even if it means committing treason of the highest order.

"He's waking up", said Bertolt and that made me stop my train of thought to glance at Eren whose eyes are slowly fluttering open.

"Eren!", I shuffled about, watching him gain consciousness.

"Where...? Wha- !!!", he freaked out. Glancing at his amputated body, he squirmed and kicked, screaming profanities until his eyes landed on the two responsible.

"What did you do to me?", a mere few words cut through the tense air with his eyes throwing blade-like daggers at them. Reiner merely cleared his throat and crossed his arms.

"We had to make sure that you wont escape or be troublesome once you wake up. We apologize for the discomfort", he replied, not looking bothered at the slightest.

They continued their conversation while I kept my silence. I can tell from Eren's ever so often glances at me that he's been curious of my well-being here. Unlike both him and Ymir, I'm unscathed and I look fine. That is, if you don't take the slightly tattered uniform into account.

I could barely listen to their conversation. I immediately spaced out at the moment that Eren started to throw questions at them, intentionally avoiding to converse with me, while my eyes never left the titan-infested grounds under us, not because I'm cautious of them or anything, but because I'm avoiding the conversation. I know it to myself that lying to Eren would be a struggle and spilling out truths now is not an option.

All I can do now is lay low and-

"You've got to be kidding me", Eren voiced out, snapping me away from my thoughts. "Why are you pretending to be the victim here?!", he shouted, grabbing my full attention.