Chapter 29: Retreat and Recoil

The picture above is Daniella with her hair down :)

------------------------------------

They wrapped her corpse with a pure white sheet, her blood staining the fabric from the side. Her hand hung loosely, not yet covered by the cloth and for everyone to see.

I smiled sadly and took her hand, it was cold, pale and empty. I tucked it in, back underneath the sheets and sighed to myself. I, like the corpse, remain emotionless. Oh How things have changed.

"I'll give you the burial you've always wanted. That's the least I can do for you" I whispered, a few drops of my tears damping the white sheets. I volunteered to carry her corpse to one of the wagons, so I lift her up, an arm on her back and another on her legs. I know you've always wanted to be buried. You never shut up about it.

Hollow footsteps and the sound of feet dragging against the floor reached my ears. I slowly turned around to see Captain Levi, he was carrying another corpse with his face as dark as mine. He was being escorted by a group of soldiers who also carried their share of dead bodies, but somehow, he stood out the most.

They emerged from the shadow of the tall trees, approaching where we are; the place where they put the dead bodies in a line. It was just a tiny bit, just a glimpse, but when the wind blew ever so slightly, I gasped as my eyes saw the familiar shade of color.

I saw strands of orange hair underneath the cloth.

Levi turned to me and eyed the one I am carrying. His face darkened again, but in a much more darker shade. I became nervous, unsure of how to act.

"Who....is that?" He asked, his voice toned down a couple of octaves. Should I tell him? Somehow, I dont want to.

I turned to the corpse I carried and then turned back to him. I bit my lip, still contemplating, still rejecting the idea.

It hurts to tell the truth. Everything gone by too fast. In a blink of an eye, she was gone. In a blink of a eye, I lost my family again.

Someone dies, I fight, I survive, someone dies, I fight, I survive, someone dies.

It goes like that, over and over again. Like a never-ending limbo, going on and on in an infinite circle. When will it stop?

"It's Daniella" I croaked out and I winced at the sound of my hoarse voice. It left a bad taste in my mouth, I never thought that I'd ever see my sister like this. I still can't accept it. I refuse to accept it.

His mouth went shut upon hearing my words. He closed his eyes and exhaled. I don't know what he was doing, but if I were to guess, I'd say that he is trying to refrain himself from doing something he'd regret.

My eyes went to the body he was holding, and a name surfaced inside my head. I know who he was carrying, at least I think I do. A little candle of hope inside of me is telling me that it could be any ginger, there were a few in a Survey Corps. How can the one he's carrying be her?

I sound like an in-denial brat, but I can't help myself. I need to look at every possible angle.

"Is that.."

"It's Petra" He said, eyeing the corps he's carrying. Do you remember that little candle of hope earlier? Well it just got thrown into the sea.

And another one hits the grave.

"Ahhh.. I see" I don't know how to react. Should I cry? Should I scream? Should I run? Should I freak out?

I don't know.