Chapter 36: Talk To Me

We were nearing end game of their little game of chess. Neither of them spoke another word and I kept quiet. However, my mind is still in shambles about what Bertolt said. I was enthusiastic, scared, confused and nervous at the same time.

"I'm boreeeeeed" Sasha exclaimed from the table beside us and I rolled my eyes at her antics and from annoyance.

"We know, you've been complaining since we got here" I groaned back, turning my head briefly at her.

"My village isn't far south of here you know" Connie said with a face filled with boredom as his hands carried the weight of his face. I looked at him with slight interest.

"My hometown is close by too" Sasha said. I can smell a plan slowly brewing.

"Damn why cant I go and visit?" Connie complained, looking out the window with Sasha. I'm actually surprised that they havent turned insane from this. We haven't been doing anything all day. I lost count at how many rounds Reiner and Bertolt have been playing chess!

"Maybe I'll sneak out at night?" Now Connie, that's a plan worth mentioning.

"If you two are going at it, then I'm joining that night plan. It's better than playing prisoner here" I muttered, still watching Bertolt and Reiner play chess.

"Well you do have a point" Bertolt said, making his move on the board.

"I can't really come back though, they told me to return when I'm normal" Now Sasha, that's just sad. Everyone is different in their own way. To me, normal, simply does not exist. Tell that to the soldiers of the Survey Corps, you practically fit right in!

"The villagers in Shiganshina used to tell me that I'm a good for nothing brat", I smiled. Too bad they can't tell that to my face anymore, wouldn't want the dead to rise again.

A wide smile broke out of my face, "Wont blame them though, it's true up to now"

"They told me I was too 'puny' to be a soldier" Connie said, reminiscing with us and slowly, a slight smile formed on his face.

"Apparently I'm genius enough to make it to the top ten of our class" I chuckled at their words, not really because I'm insulting them, but because I can relate. If only the elders are alive to see me now, I'd be collecting jaws that dropped to the ground.

"When I get back, I'm going to make them eat their words" Connie said and the corners of his lips rose, so did mine as I nodded at him. That's the spirit Connie!

"If you're serious about that, then I'll help you" Why do I have the feeling that Reiner is going to do that literaly, not figuratively? All my alert senses just turned on, looking at him with a confused yet worried expression. If he really is serious, then major things are going down and if major things are going down, then I need to report this. Should I?

Or maybe he's just joking and I'm freaking out for absolutely nothing? Probably the latter.

"Doesn't it seem strange?" Reiner said, standing up from his chair as he looked at everyone from our table.

"Strange? Elaborate please" I said.

"Were on standby, wearing plain clothes and we're not allowed to train or wear our uniforms" His gaze fell on me then to the window to see our fellow soldiers. His eyebrows furrowed.

"While everyone else here is wearing full gear. We're inside the walls, not the front lines, so why would they need to be fully armed?" I fought the urge to gulp nervously, my armpits are starting to sweat again, just when I finally have them dried. He's on to us.