Chapter 32: Dirty Work

I know what I must do and I have already made up my mind about it. There's no turning back once I've made a decision. I know it wont be easy, but if it's the only chance I have, then I'll take it. I was never the type to play it safe anyway.

Breaking into offices is seriously not my thing, never in a hundred years did I picture myself as a spy or a burglar, but here I am. Stupid, I know. I am sure that the idea itself just made my armpit sweaty. I would say that I'm sweating like a saturated sponge, but thats the type of exaggeration that makes me uncomfortable.

It took me endless hours of planning and preparing, but here I am now, waiting for the lunch period to start and have my sister's old office empty. I just need to wait for Tom to get out. I was lucky that one of the three floors with a restroom in them was this floor, or else I would've already been caught.

"Hey, have you heard that Captain Levi is injured and will not be a able to participate in the recapture of the female titan?" My body went to high alert as a couple of footsteps echoed in the restroom. I stood inside one of the three stalls, eavesdropping on their conversation.

"Yeah, I was disappointed. I expected him to be there and help, it would really be reassuring to know that he's around" A giggle is heard, making me roll my eyes as a response. Females and their hormones.

I remember back in the Training Corps during dinner. They would often ask me why us girls go in groups when we're going to the bathroom, seeing as that I'm blunt back then, I would answer them straight on. It was because girls often chit chat when they go to the restroom and we feel more comfortable to have someone accompany us.

"Have you heard that the titan kid is going to be used as bait? Poor kid. If he wasn't a titan then I would've pitied him" looks like their chit chat turned somewhat interesting.

"I know right. I still can't believe that he's in the same building as us, if it was up to me, I'd keep him somewhere else, just for precaution. He could turn into a titan in his sleep you know" Though that I still hate Eren as of now, but hearing those words escape from their lips was just infuriating. I can feel the acid of anger deep within my stomach slowly bubble, emitting steam.

"Have you seen the girl with him? The one with black hair that resembles the Captain of the SCCS?" And this is where I get involved in the conversation. A bunch of bitches gossiping about me, how nice. Looks like there are still people like this in the Survey Corps.

"Yeah, rumors has it that they're siblings. Who would have known? To be honest, I miss the Lieutenant. I remember when I first saw her back in year 154" .....154, isn't that the year when Captain Levi joined the Survey Corps? -Wait, that's also...

"Isn't that the year when a lot of people died? I heard its one of the most dangerous expeditions in Survey Corps history!" The girl gasped, I can see their shadows on the restroom floor, making me uneasy as I saw the shadow grow larger.

"That's also the year when the Lieutenant go-" I flushed the toilet bowl and pushed the door open, revealing to me the faces of the two girls. I didn't look at then straight in the eyes, all that I wanted was to cut their conversation short.

"Excuse me" I muttered, bumping shoulders with the girl with a loose ponytail and washed my hands on the sink. The two looked at me with shock, but they kept quiet. Finally, they decided to shut their mouths.

I exited the restroom with silence, leaning against the wall for support as I recalled the face of my sister the day when she got back from that expedition. Everything was still clear to me, even though I was young back then.

The horror in her face, the look in her eyes and the condition she was in when she entered the house. She didn't speak a word, but her facial expression told us everything. She spent days cooped up inside her room. The Survey Corps decided to give her the weekend off, along with other soldiers to recover from it.