Chapter 45: Eye Of The Storm

You know that feeling of being so relieved and happy that you can't believe your eyes? I can just die right here knowing that this is all over. The moment that Mikasa came is the moment that I knew that we were saved. The Survey Corps appeared a second after and I can't believe I'm this happy to see them, knowing what my intentions were.

Streams of gas filled the air, the Survey Corps soldiers moved in and simultaneously slashed the napes of all the titans that remained standing after the castle fell. I look at them doe-eyed with a feeling of excitement filling my chest and hope reflecting on my eyes.

If Mikasa is here, then does that mean that Eren is as well?

With that in thought, I look everywhere for him, turning my head in every direction possible. I need to know what happened at the recapture.

"Riza, where are you going?" Connie shouted after me. I turned my head towards him. Only now did I notice that I'm already meters apart from them.

"I'm going to look for Eren" I said, and at the corner of my eye, I think I saw Bertolt shift uncomfortably. I bit my lip and I shrugged it off. It's probably nothing.

I made my way across the field, stepping over broken pieces of the castle and watching out for the still evaporating corpses of the titans. Where is he?

If they're all here, then Annie's recapture is a success, but the number of soldiers have dwindled. I need to make sure that Eren's alright and I need to see Tom, to make sure that he survived.

My ears caught the sound of horses galloping and my feet automatically led me there. The first thing I saw was a wire flying through the air and embedded itself on a titan's neck. Blades whirled through the air and the titan fell.

"Yes! My first kill!", he shouted, looking at the titan whose nape he just sliced clean. It fell with a loud thump, its impact made the earth below me vibrate a bit.

I called after him, waving my hand. "Hey Eren!" I shouted. His gaze went to me and he grinned, proud that I saw his first kill. Take note that he was in mid air.

Apparently, I was a distraction. The next wire he fired missed its mark, making him stumble and fall. It wasn't a bad landing, but I think he scraped his arm at least.

"Oof!", that's the sound he made when he hit the ground. I cocked my head to the side, holding back my urge to laugh at the scene before me. He was covered in dirt and to be honest, his reaction was kinda adorable.

"You moron, I told you to stay back!" One of the superiors shouted, riding on his horse as he passed us. Eren composed himself and sat up, saluting at him. "Right, sorry" he apologized.

I shook my head at him, walking over to him. "So how's th-"

"Hey Eren!" Connie shouted, cutting me off as he ran towards Eren and I with Reiner and Bertolt behind him. Eren waved them over and I bit my lip at my ruined opportunity for a mission report.

Eren noticed my sudden silence. "So, what was that you were about to ask me?", he said. I shook my head, knowing that I can't make him tell me what happened in front of the rest of them.

I decided to change the subject instead, faking a laugh. "Slick move Jaeger" I said, turning to the titan's corpse.

"Meh, at least you killed it" I shrugged.

The rest of us encircled around him like a celebrity. We're all relieved and glad that almost everyone is here and what happened last night is finally over. Somehow, we're saved.

All that remains is the blood of these titans painting the rocks and boulders that they ascended from, slowly evaporating to nothing. Streams of gas filled the air, sounds of their Maneuvering Gear filled it and each blade drew blood.