Chapter 41: Acts of Charity

"Everyone wake up! Get to the tower quickly!" I woke up. Sitting up abruptly, I turned my head to every direction possible. I was still induced by sleep, and my mind is only half-awake. I'm more confused now than ever. Everyone is running all over the room. 

Everything from that moment ishazy and confusing. I don't know what to think and my whole body is against standing up. Once I realize that everyone around me is panicking, I also did. My mind finally woke up . 

What's going on? Why was -wait...

Did I just? No, that's impossible!

"Riza, we need to go" Snapping out of my thoughts, I raised my head towards Bertolt who has a worried expression plastered across his face. I find myself left without the ability to talk, my throat is dry and scratchy. I know my voice will come out cracked if ever I try to speak a word.

Only now did I register that I have been looking absentmindedly at Bertolt. I blink my eyes, resuming my focus and I nodded at him, slowly gathering strength to lift myself up. 

"W-what's going on?" Just as I thought, my voice came out dry and hoarse.

I look around the room again and everyone is rushing. Alarmed by the sudden noise,  they went around the room, gathering their belongings and running up the stairs with nervousness on their faces. If there is one word to describe what is going on right now, it would have been chaos. 

I left the blanket that is mysteriously wrapped around me, getting nothing but my satchel and a knife that has saved my life so many times. Whatever the cause for this commotion is going to be the problem of the day. We were stupid to think that the day is done, everything that happened before this is just the calm before the storm and now....we're nearing the climax, I can feel it. 

Much to my surprise, it was Ms. Optimistic, she's actually named as Lynne, who was the one to announce what was going on. She is also the one who panicked the most. 

Everyone ran up the spiral stairs that lead to the top of one of the castle towers. I made it there as the last person, closing the wooden door behind me when I made it, everyone was gawking at something and a feeling I have deep inside my gut is telling me that whatever they're looking at, cant be good. 

My eyes scanned the horde under us and I gasped.

"You have got to be kidding me" I muttered, walking to the edge of the tower, a few stone blocks separating me and the monsters that caused me nothing but anguish and pain for the past years. 

The titans, they're here and they're coming for us. The entire castle is surrounded by them and I know very well that its impossible for them to be as active as they are during the day, but seeing how they are right now, cant be normal.

"This is all your fault! I could have been drinking if it wasn't for you" Gerger wholeheartedly shouted at them.

I stood there, glaring at the beasts. The heavy feeling of being induced by sleep is fleeting. I find my hands sneaking its way into my satchel. Thoughts rushed inside my head, all rampant and dangerous.

I can't let myself be prey to them again.

"Come on, enough chit chat and let's go!" Nanaba shouted, charging towards the titans with the others trailing after her. I stared wide-eyed as they courageously took the titans head on, without a shadow of doubt evident in their faces. I clutched onto the knife in my hand tightly, wanting to join them in this. 

And before I knew it, my feet moved on their own.

"Riza, dont!" Krista called after me, just as I was about to jump off with them. A firm hand gripped mine, pulling me back towards reality.