Chapter 26: Inner Demons

Have you ever got the feeling that something bad is about to happen? Something so bad that it wouldn't stop bothering you.

And then the feeling turned out to be true, to be real.

As the events slowly unfold, all you can do is to watch it. It's....painful, unbearably painful.

It's the second biggest regret in my life, it changed me, it made me do the first biggest regret I did.

All you can do is to stand there and watch it, feel it, see it with your very eyes. The reality of the moment surpasses human comprehension, so you do nothing but reciprocate the feeling with silent screams, clawing scar marks all over your heart and mind.

Painful, it truly is painful.

Third Person's POV

Squad levi continued to ride away, Riza keeps on looking back and forth, while the others were chatting with relief. She payed no attention to their words, her paranoia was blocking their conversation out.

She can't set these feelings aside anymore.

"Are you okay?" Petra asked her, looking at her with worry, while Riza shook her head in response.

Should I tell tem?

"I have a bad feeling, it's really unsettling" She responded, biting her lip as she slowly avoided Petra's worried gaze.

"It's just a feeling, best to shake it off" Petra adviced, slightly smiling at her and Riza caught it at the corner of her eye, but she frowned, knowing that those simple words won't be enough  to patch the paranoia.

"Hopefully it would stay that way" She whispered, bowing her head. Her heart beat accelerated dangerously with each thump of the horse's feet against the ground.

When they got far enough, they finally decided to rest on top of high trees, leaving their horses on the ground. They all went up using their maneuver gear, placing themselves quickly on top of tree branches.

"Uh, cadets aside, why didn't the commander or captain Levi let the others know about this plan?" Eren asked, breaking the few moments of silence.

"Hey! Are you implying that the commander and the corporal doesn't trust us?" Petra said irritatedly, placing a hand on her hip. 

What's with her sudden change of attitude?

"N-no! But that's what it seems like..." Eren trailed off, unsure of whether to continue his sentence or not, considering the possibility of them killing him if he did.

"Petra! Yank his teeth out! Pull it out and replace it with motors!" Orlou shouted, pissed at hin while Eren just raised his hands in defense. But someone finally talked, going between the two of them.

"Hey, let's not be hasty, you'll regret it" Riza finally spoke up, narrowing her eyes at him, coming between them like brick wall as she glared daggers at Orlou. The atmosphere tensed again.

"I'm not scared of a brat like you, I might be scared of your sister, but not you" Orlou snickered, while Riza clicked her tongue in irritation.

"You're all bark and no bite, I guess that happens when a dog becomes a human" She narrowed her eyes, looking pissed. The rest of the squad just stared between the two of them, feeling the tension in the air.

"Stop it" Eld started, crossing his arms, finally ending their glaring competition.

"It's like what he said, but I'm sure that the commander and the captain has a reason to not tell us" He said, bitterness evident in his tone.