Chapter 30: Band Aids Over Bullet Holes

The mission failed, the expedition was a mess, we lost countless of soldiers and lost so many supplies. We risked everything for the greater good of humanity, and what do we get? Unequal treatment, booing crowds, glares from the townspeople and insults from the other factions.

Such a nice life.

"I'd like to buy a fifty of them please"

"Are you sure about that dear? That costs a lot, what are you going to do with them anyway?"

"I'm going to make something for someone that's really dear to me"

"Okay, we have a wholesale deal anyway"

At the end of the day, it's always us that are the ones at fault. It is always us who is to be frowned upon. The blame is always on us, just because we try to fight the current, trying to fight the flow. The townspeople look at us weirdly, but fighting against it is really all we know. Isn't it?

We made a hundred sacrifices, but the ones whom have done nothing are always the victors. Why does life always have to be this...unfair to us?

Did we do something in our past life? Is that why You're punishing us?

"I'd like to buy two yards of your pure white satin fabric"

But in the end, we always have a reason to fight back, a reason to stay strong. That's why we struggle against the current. Sometimes we may be able to step over so many bodies, that along the journey, we tend to forget who they were. Who we are.

Still we stand together, we remind each other why we fight. Why did I fight? I can't remember. It had something to do with the walls and the birds. I can't quite grasp the idea, but I'll try to remember it on another day.

"Tom, how's the wood work going?"

"It's pretty good now, just need to add the finishing touches"

"Okay, make sure that it floats. We wouldn't want it to sink"

Today is her day, today is where I say my final goodbyes to her. Everyone is invited, everyone who cared, everyone who was there, everyone who helped.

"Hanji, is she all set?"

"Yeah, it's all done now. Have you purchased the roses yet?"

"Yep, all fifty of them"

It's almost time, it's almost sunrise. I'm here to thank everyone that was here, everyone that witnessed what happened, to tell them that it isn't over yet. The fight is just beginning. The titans may have won this battle today, but humanity will fight back.

I will fight back.

"Is everyone here?" I asked Tom whom have just finished building the wooden box I ordered him to build. Tom nodded in response, carrying the casket with the help of the other builders. They placed it inside the house where Hanji, Mikasa and I took care of it. The builders left while Tom stayed.

I placed down the satin sheets and a few pillows that were donated, making it as comfortable as I can, then the three of us started plucking some of the roses, leaving only 15 of them untouched. We spread the petals over the satin sheets, making a layer of it. Tom then picked up her body and placed her down gently.

Laying her down on the bed of roses.

We dressed her up beforehand, but we didn't dress her up in a white dress. I know how much she doesn't like them, so instead, we dressed her up in her Survey Corps uniform, agreeing as it was the best way to describe who she really is:

A woman who is capable to change anything, a woman who can start a battle cry just by whispering. A woman who loves her job, her family and her friends more than anything.